Why do people buy new 125's

Cynic
This post is 4941 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

yeah i agree mate buyin a brand new bike means you know the engine aint gonan go bang anytime soon and you get them years free insurance and warrenty and etc

Weak point, most of these bikes get tuned up once they get a couple of hundred miles on them, then its just a grenade missing the pin.

You can buy a good fast 125 early tzr for maybe 6-700 quid with MOT and TAX. Well set they fly and they are easy to fix, its only goto last long enough to get your proper licence then out it for probably what you gave for it. You will have paid almost that in VAT on a new one.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeha but brand new bikes dont need no MOT for 3 years so you save cash there and 1 years free insurance so dont need to pay for insurance for another year after bying it save money there and its only new riders who have no common sence to wear the engine in before modding the engine not many people do it straight away well ive never done anything straight away only done styling parts straight away.

yeha but brand new bikes dont need no MOT for 3 years so you save cash there and 1 years free insurance so dont need to pay for insurance for another year after bying it save money there and its only new riders who have no common sence to wear the engine in before modding the engine not many people do it straight away well ive never done anything straight away only done styling parts straight away.

Sorry can't see the argument on the MOT, possibly the insurance but you only get 1 year what happens in year 2, or is that the snag. You go and take a massive depreciation hit and then buy another new one.

Cheap 125, +insurance, third party only is all you nead to be mobile, on the road passing bus stops for less than a grand all in if your sharp.

Pass your test THEN buy a new bike worth having, take the free insurance and all the finance offers etc on something you may keep for a few years.

Don't forget you lose 17'5 % of its value signing the bloddy paperwork, wipe another 20-30% off riding it away. So you have lost AT LEAST more than you would have spent on a cheap bike and your lumberd with the payments on a bike that won't be quick enough in 6 weeks time.

I still don't see it.

Guest MaD.VeZ

Cheap 125, +insurance, third party only is all you nead to be mobile, on the road passing bus stops for less than a grand all in if your sharp.

Pass your test THEN buy a new bike worth having, take the free insurance and all the finance offers etc on something you may keep for a few years.

Are you implying a 125 isn't worth having :(

I can see how the vast majority of people may not see a 125 other than anything but a stepping stone before a full license and a bigger bike, but i happen to like my 125 and intend keeping it for life. If i ever do upgrade to somethings bigger i wouldn't buy a new one, there are more well looked after second hand bigger bikes available than good second hand 125's.

If everybody had the attitude that it isn't worth buying new 125's, then there wouldn't be any second hand ones available in a few years.

I can see the argument about buying new and making it faster, but not everybody is like that, there are a few people like me who genuinely like 125's.

*walks off to sulk*

Are you implying a 125 isn't worth having :(  

I can see how the vast majority of people may not see a 125 other than anything but a stepping stone before a full license and a bigger bike, but i happen to like my 125 and intend keeping it for life. If i ever do upgrade to somethings bigger i wouldn't buy a new one, there are more well looked after second hand bigger bikes available than good second hand 125's. 

If everybody had the attitude that it isn't worth buying new 125's, then there wouldn't be any second hand ones available in a few years. 

I can see the argument about buying new and making it faster, but not everybody is like that, there are a few people like me who genuinely like 125's.

*walks off to sulk* 

Sorry MaD, it's just there are not that many folk like you out there. The vast majority seem to buy them then want to tear them apart and fit big bores etc. The people that want a new 125 as a deliberate choice, fair enough but the people that buy them with every intention of moving on as soon as they have their licence.I don't understand it, never will i suppose. I like the smaller 2 strokes myself, i traded down from a 600 for the TDR and i've had the DT for years. I still think a sorted 125 is more fun than a lot of the bigger stuff because you are riding far harder to go as fast.

As you said in your post most 125's get hammerd because of the inexperience of the pilot, so why not do the damage to an old nail rather than throw money away on a new one.

As to value, no i don't think new 125's are value for money, if you had the option of going back to the dealer and they plugged in the black box that gave you 25HP it should have then possibly, but the way they are castrated by rules and regulations makes the idea a no no.

Guest MaD.VeZ

As to value, no i don't think new 125's are value for money, if you had the option of going back to the dealer and they plugged in the black box that gave you 25HP it should have then possibly, but the way they are castrated by rules and regulations makes the idea a no no.

Yeah you are very right there, but when left with no choice, a restricted one is better than none at all i suppose.

I think if i had never riden a bike before going onto the road a new one would of been a no no until i had some experience, and a good second hand one would of been the way to go.

Yeah you are very right there, but when left with no choice, a restricted one is better than none at all i suppose.

I think if i had never riden a bike before going onto the road a new one would of been a no no until i had some experience, and a good second hand one would of been the way to go.    

But thats my point, a nice mid 90's TZR if you look properly is a far better bike as far as performance (ie pounds per MPH) goes than a new YZF.

Lets be honest here MaD you know all the tricks to make them fly, they are genuine 100mph bikes (just). Ok looks may come into question but when i was 17 performance was it. Fastest bike in the yard was king, simple. As, lets be honest it don't matter how fancy you make a 4 stroke single 125, its not going to catch a stroker is it. May last longer :P

As far as no bike at all goes, fellow 2 doors up from me has got a CG125 1979. Cost him nothing litterally. It wont tear your arms off i'll grant you but it was lively enough when i rode it to get it MOT'd for him yesterday and it would happily sit at 65mph, just push 70. He got it for his grandson as a 17th birthday present, sorted insurance out the lot.

Y'know the old man passing on his knowledge, lets do this together bit. "I'm not riding that piece of shit!", i heard that from my living room shortly before the kid landed on his back seeing stars.

At his age i would have snapped his hand off, and i don't mean dodging the punch :D .

I know what you mean Cynic, my first bike was a second hand Honda 125 twin (SS125) with no silencers, fixed it up and put it on the road and i loved that little bike. But things are sadly different now, right from kids being very young and at shool they are judged and bullied by their peers if they wear the wrong clothes etc, they have to conform to the latest fashion to fit in the group...i suppose this rubs off when they are older too.

Some however with knowlegeable motorcycling parents may buck this though and for once listen to what dad says.

Take heart...look at Foamy and hope there are more like him. But lets not forget that the YZF is a superb looking little bike and its not the manufacturers fault its a four stroke, They do need to sell these bikes after all and they made a great job of the looks...even though the YBR is more my thing. :D

Y'know the old man passing on his knowledge, lets do this together bit. "I'm not riding that piece of shit!", i heard that from my living room shortly before the kid landed on his back seeing stars.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I wouldnt bother buying a new one either, but i know what OG is saying is prob true.

I bought the one i have now last year sometime because they are such a fun bike to ride.

If its a case of people just using a 125 to pass there test and then ditch them for a bigger bike then they would be better off holding off and looking out for a second hand one instead of wasting there money.

Guest MaD.VeZ

But thats my point, a nice mid 90's TZR if you look properly is a far better bike as far as performance (ie pounds per MPH) goes than a new YZF.

Lets be honest here MaD you know all the tricks to make them fly, they are genuine 100mph bikes (just). Ok looks may come into question but when i was 17 performance was it. Fastest bike in the yard was king, simple. As, lets be honest it don't matter how fancy you make a 4 stroke single 125, its not going to catch a stroker is it. May last longer :P

I agree with the TZR statement, but getting a derestricted bike is a big scary word for most parents of 17y/o's ( i think most kids at that age have their parents helping them out ) and that means the parents then push for a safer option of a newer restricted bike, then with people like myself and OG snapping up the good examples it tends to leave the bikes advertised as "completely derestricted" and this sets more alarm bells off in parents heads, so then they start to look at new bikes with all the restrictions in place to keep little jimmy safe.

Also not to mention the fact this country seems to live of credit cards and loans, i think the idea of saving up for things has nearly all but died out with most people, and i believe this plays a factor with people today too.

As far as no bike at all goes, fellow 2 doors up from me has got a CG125 1979. Cost him nothing litterally. It wont tear your arms off i'll grant you but it was lively enough when i rode it to get it MOT'd for him yesterday and it would happily sit at 65mph, just push 70. He got it for his grandson as a 17th birthday present, sorted insurance out the lot.

At his age i would have snapped his hand off, and i don't mean dodging the punch :D .

Same here, i would have loved anything that ran as my first bike. Some people are just ungrateful i guess.

I agree with the TZR statement, but getting a derestricted bike is a big scary word for most parents of 17y/o's ( i think most kids at that age have their parents helping them out ) and that means the parents then push for a safer option of a newer restricted bike, then with people like myself and OG snapping up the good examples it tends to leave the bikes advertised as "completely derestricted" and this sets more alarm bells off in parents heads, so then they start to look at new bikes with all the restrictions in place to keep little jimmy safe. 

I know what your saying, i think i had parents that were more realistic when i was looking for bikes. My father certainly knew what was what on my bikes and said as much (he's been a mechanic man and boy) and he controlled the decisions regarding my bikes more than my mother who "trusted my jugement" :lol: As far as he's concerned you can kill yourself and others with 12hp just as easily as 25.

Also not to mention the fact this country seems to live of credit cards and loans, i think the idea of saving up for things has nearly all but died out with most people, and i believe this plays a factor with people today too.

Yes totally agree, when my 2 were born and the family allowance was put into separate accounts for them, we figured while we could afford it we would continue. Still doing it 9 years on, they are ISA's now instead of savings accounts but its the same. I know of nobody else who has done it. I'm hoping it will kick start their future whatever it may be.

Guest MaD.VeZ

Good to hear some one has some sense about saving up, hope you can instill the same values into your kids as they get older, i know its not easy these days B)

Had the opposite with bikes and decisions, my mum was a single parent and didn't know alot about bikes, which left the decisions to me :unsure:, my 1st bike was a DT175  at 11y/o that had been stood in a barn for probably 10+ years, good job i never got it running or i probably wouldn't be here writing this. Fortunately a good biker friend of the family found me a cheap DT50 when i was 12(£50 iirc) which i learned alot from in the riding and mechanical sense. (Got my first gravel/road rash coming of it, ahh the memories).

I think every biker should start young and be allowed to come off on a field instead of a road, it teaches you alot, especially if you have to find the money to fix it yourself when you do.

• 5 weeks later...

I bought a new YBR last November to use as a long term economical commuter, simply because I couldn't guarantee how well a second hand one would have been treated by it's first (young?) owner.

I paid cash and ended up getting a good deal. The free fully comprehensive insurance was a bonus, although I don't think it would have cost much anyway, considering I have 35yrs of accident free riding.

One day last week I went out for a ride around Wales and clocked up a relaxing 300 miles just checking out the countryside. Since purchase it has been averaging just over 125MPG.

Having just seen a local CG125 with over 89,000 miles on the clock I have set myself a personal challenge to see what sort of mileage I can clock up on this bike. There's been very few motorcycles (apart from the BMW's I've owned) where I would replace it with an identical model if something happened to it, but oddly enough I would not hesitate to buy another YBR for commuting.

I certainly don't intend to spend any money on performance enhancements,simply because the fuel consumption will suffer and I don't ride it above 50MPH. But I have already upgraded the indicators and invested in a brighter bulb for the headlight purely for safety reasons.

ric

I bought a new YBR last November to use as a long term economical commuter, simply because I couldn't guarantee how well a second hand one would have been treated by it's first (young?) owner.

I paid cash and ended up getting a good deal. The free fully comprehensive insurance was a bonus, although I don't think it would have cost much anyway, considering I have 35yrs of accident free riding.

One day last week I went out for a ride around Wales and clocked up a relaxing 300 miles just checking out the countryside. Since purchase it has been averaging just over 125MPG.

Having just seen a local CG125 with over 89,000 miles on the clock I have set myself a personal challenge to see what sort of mileage I can clock up on this bike. There's been very few motorcycles (apart from the BMW's I've owned) where I would replace it with an identical model if something happened to it, but oddly enough I would not hesitate to buy another YBR for commuting.

I certainly don't intend to spend any money on performance enhancements,simply because the fuel consumption will suffer and I don't ride it above 50MPH. But I have already upgraded the indicators and invested in a brighter bulb for the headlight purely for safety reasons.

ric

Your the type of rider i can understand buying a new bike, because you know what you wantand with the mileage your doing you will get the best from it without doubt. Its the kids i'm aiming at who buy the latest rocket lookalike brand new, then trot out the "i don't know whats been done to it" reason for having a new one. Then proceed to butcher it with tuppeny hapney spanners for minute increaces in performance then flog it when the get their test for peanuts.

Just makes better sense if you are buying a bike to de restrict to buy one that is easy to restrict and common so parts are cheap, you can get a tzr upto around 230cc if you don't mind bending the rules a little and doing the work.

i work in a youth club and all the kids care about is what it looks like and if mummy and daddy are buying it for them, also working in a motorcycle garage i tell them the dangers of deristricting it themselves but they dont care as long as they get there street cred!

I'm all for a proper 2 stroke, bought my 12 previous owners nsr125rr for £800 spent £130 fixing all the bodged crap on it and now i have a cheap run around that will also go like stink when i want some fun for less than a new one that all for the sake a warranty!!! but then again i'm not 16/17 years old tryin to impress my mates and i only bought mine as a second bike and for a bit of fun

all said and done everyone has there own choice and like said before if no one buys new then there will be nothin second hand for sale

I bought a new 125 when I was 17, a Honda MTX125R, the plain reason was that it was new in it's design, better than the DT's that were around at the time. I'd also got myself a job that paid well, so I had something to spen my cash on.

Nothing to do with street cred, getting more power, I just liked the idea of something to show for my wages other than a pile of vomit and a hangover.

I don't see anything wrong with buying a new bike, 125 or otherwise, but if you are going to try to tweek it, then buying new is a bit of a waste (warrenty, depreciation), but if it's your own money then fair enough. It takes people to buy new stuff otherwise there'd never be any second hand ones!!

I don't see anything wrong with buying a new bike, 125 or otherwise, but if you are going to try to tweek it, then buying new is a bit of a waste (warrenty, depreciation), but if it's your own money then fair enough. It takes people to buy new stuff otherwise there'd never be any second hand ones!!

Thats what i mean, by all means buy a new one, but how many posts are there on here about how ace their brand new YZF is but how do i make it go?

When i was 17 it didn't matter what it looked like it was how fast it went simple, then the powervalve bikes appeared and their was a new god :D .

If you are going to ruin it to make it fast save a couple of grand (litterally these days) and get an old stoker. It don't matter what you do to a YZF it will never catch a properly sorted TZR.

i think its more due to the lack of knowledge.

if ur from a biking background then ur going to go for something second hand with some pull in it.

but if ur new to biking and ur family dont know much then ur going to go for the nice new sparkling snail on wheels sitting in the shiny "helpful" showroom, then moan cause it cant overtake a bus and try and make it faster.

but if you do a bit of research and know what ur doing there are some absolutely smashing 2nd hand 125s going for cheep! that with a little cleaning and maintenance will last you for years and keep you entertained.

but as ppl have said everyone has to start somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

As soon as I turned 17 I bought a 1994 TZR125 RR Belgrada, which was absolutely amazing fun...I don't see any point in spending like £3k on a brand new bike, which probably won't be as fast as the good old strokers...and definately won't be as good looking! I think its best to start on a old bike which you can learn on, then anything you ride afterwards will seem so simple! :)