ttr 600 smoking

yamadaft
This post is 5356 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey guys

new to the forum this be the first post

bot my ttr600r last march with 8000mls since then its done 2300mls and its started smoking on start up quite bad but clears when warm although not

completely is a complete top end rebuild on the cards

......also few questions

am running distanzias and i only seem to get 1200 miles to a rear tire is this about average as my xt did about 2500 to a rear

thinking of putting in larger jets in carb and other pipe anyone done this and what settings

many thanks steven

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It's started smoking, huh?

Well, my first thought is to suggest it try nicotine patches... :lol:

My less sarcastic thought would be the weather.

I have heard of some engines (bike and otherwise) that run fairly warm. Not a bad thing at all.

However, when you stop and park up overnight, the engine temperature drops so rapidly that a little oil stays in place, rather than flowing back to the sump as it cools.

Then when you start it up next morning, as that 'stuck' oil warms up, it gets into the combustion system and you get some smoking.

This is just a theory based on mechanic's chatter, though.

hey guys

new to the forum this be the first post

Welcome.

bot my ttr600r last march with 8000mls since then its done 2300mls and its started smoking on start up quite bad but clears when warm although not completely is a complete top end rebuild on the cards

When you say smoking, is it oil, or water ? Yes These are airheads, but is water getting into the exhaust at all ?? Is it using any oil (remember these have a dry sump so you need to run it for 20 minutes before dipping the oil).

If it's not using oil then you've no worries. Mine 'smokes' a bit on startup if it's been outside, but it's not oil it's normally just the contents of a lake that has gotten in there, Dunno how........

081109-02.JPG

am running distanzias and i only seem to get 1200 miles to a rear tire is this about average as my xt did about 2500 to a rear

thinking of putting in larger jets in carb and other pipe anyone done this and what settings

I'd have thought more than 1200 miles from the Distanzias, although they are quite a soft compound. I run Michelin Enduro Comps on mine and get around 1000 but these are very soft off road tyres. I really depends how you ride it, maybe a little less 'spirited' and you'll get more miles to your rubber!

Never had the need to worry about jetting the bike - runs fine for what I use it for :

Thursday26June-01.JPG

Welcome.

When you say smoking, is it oil, or water ? Yes These are airheads, but is water getting into the exhaust at all ?? Is it using any oil (remember these have a dry sump so you need to run it for 20 minutes before dipping the oil).

If it's not using oil then you've no worries. Mine 'smokes' a bit on startup if it's been outside, but it's not oil it's normally just the contents of a lake that has gotten in there, Dunno how........

081109-02.JPG

I'd have thought more than 1200 miles from the Distanzias, although they are quite a soft compound. I run Michelin Enduro Comps on mine and get around 1000 but these are very soft off road tyres. I really depends how you ride it, maybe a little less 'spirited' and you'll get more miles to your rubber!

Never had the need to worry about jetting the bike - runs fine for what I use it for :

Thursday26June-01.JPG

thanks for the replys gents.......

sorry i should of described it better the smoke the bike produces is a thick heavey blue smoke which does not fully clear even when hot even on day to day use and as i been told by several mates on runs when they are following me also when i back off the revs it produces puff o smoke then to.. also the roker cover is starting to weep slightly

the jetting idea came from me havin an xr650r as my last off roader found that jet and pipe made noticable odds

to it in the grunt stakes..as for the tires think ill go for trail wings cos hopfully soon ill get the r1 and xjr back o road duty

thanks again guys......steven

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online