XS650

G Mann
This post is 5353 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi i have just joined your site and i hope it will be quite useful. I have a 1979 xs650se my first 1 and i love this bike. Just looking for a few tips 1st clutch cable easy to do but will oil pee out of casing once removed. Can you please give me some tips ajusting/fitting so i can find neutral ok. I have had several bikes from Big Kawas Chops FJs and so on but nothing and i mean nothing can capture the beauty of this wonderful machine...And shes loud :D This would be much appreciated Oh and the best oil to use.

Thanks G.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: to the YOC Gman

clutch cable cover is just a cover and won't leak out oil. once fitted, turn the adjuster on the engine side till it lightly touches and back off 1/4 turn and lock off.

adjust the lever for 5mm of play

the best oil is clean oil!! change it regulary, in my xs400 i use millars 20w 50 in the summer!

drewps

:welcome: to the YOC Gman

clutch cable cover is just a cover and won't leak out oil. once fitted, turn the adjuster on the engine side till it lightly touches and back off 1/4 turn and lock off.

adjust the lever for 5mm of play

the best oil is clean oil!! change it regulary, in my xs400 i use millars 20w 50 in the summer!

drewps

Thanks for the info. G.

The 650 is well noted for leaking oil at the clutch push rod seal!My 32 year old example seems OK at the moment but has had a few seals in the past. Wiping all the filth from the push rod helps seal life.

I'd ajust the clucth when the engine is warm, as the setting seems to alter slightly as the engine heats up. This will allow you to select neutral with a hot engine.

Start by getting the free play on the worm drive adjuster right, you want it on the tight side rather then a large clearance.

The XS650 does well on 20/50. The XS400 however won't. Unlike the 650 it has the cam running in plain bushes formed directly in the head. Oil must get there quickly if you want to avoid the cam shaft eating into the bearings, for this you need light 10/40. The 650 has the cam supported in ball races and it can take the oil 30 seconds or more to get up to them - which is OK as ball races will run with virtually no lube (as 2 stroke cranks prove)

Hi thankyou for the info should be easy job My xs is 31 this year so must be same or near your model. I read that deisel oil works?????????? This was on xs web page, could this be true or an XS hater. I am waiting for new cable from ebay and will fit on Saturday. Many many thanks for your knowledge.

G. B)

Hi thankyou for the info should be easy job My xs is 31 this year so must be same or near your model. I read that deisel oil works?????????? This was on xs web page, could this be true or an XS hater. I am waiting for new cable from ebay and will fit on Saturday. Many many thanks for your knowledge.

G. B)

Gentleman Thank you for the clutch info, no prbs...Thanks. Can i ask just out of sheer luck if anyone knows what (longer by 4insh) fork legs will fit straight on and house the calapers? Thanks again.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online