Bloody Suzuki...

Richard_Bolton
This post is 5212 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Right... Don't make many posts, but I am losing the will to live with my Suzuki GP100!

I have my FZR600R which is currently having its winter strip and service, and last year in September, I stupidly decided to buy myself a little project, non runner to learn about the amazing 2 stroke engines. So... £200 non-runner GP100 local, decided to buy, clean to a certain degree and get on the road for a laugh!

BUT I am facing a huge problem and would really appreciate your opinions on how to solve my Suzuki problems!

I have so far...

Completely stripped the bike to just the frame, completely removed all paint and rust, re-sprayed and lacquered

Split engine, replaced all seals, cleaned crank shaft, new piston kit fitted, new oil, filters cleaned

Carburetor completely striped, rebuilt

New spark plug, battery, sprocket and chain set, condenser and points

Ignition coil checked, good earth

Now... I have had it running a few times, but only for around 5 minutes maximum...

The timing has been set spot on, oil pump set, carb checked, all lines free... but still wont run.

It has been back firing a little, but this comes and goes. It was backfiring earlier today but carb was checked again, timing set again, oil pump checked, spark from plug yet... no life in the bike!

Does anyone have any suggestions, or have had dealings with these monsters before? Heard lots of good things about this little machine, granted its a suzuki, but I couldnt find a Yamaha TY175 for sale within my small budget :( this is my next project :D

HELP! thanks, Richard

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

HI ther ,, if the timing is spot on ,,, i think it could be the disc valve, i take it this model has them? Yams had reeds, also , wen u had it running , did it rev properly? jets [pilot]

did it run on choke? then die wen off choke ,,, give us the strating & running procedure,,,unsure.gif

are you sure all new seals are airtight??? and seated right?? i had trouble with a GT250 with a seal that would only leak when the bike was warm cos it was`nt saeted right.

so every time the engine warmed up and seals got a bit softer and metal expanded there would be a leak (causing lack of compression)

is the condenser friar tucked??

Just a thought?? :)

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for my lack of information, after spending 7 hours on it Sunday... was tired and had enough!

Right, BlackHat250, Timing was set to book standards, the bike is 1989 model U I think, but that’s the year of the GP100. My neighbour said something about the disc valve, as he had one around 20 years ago but wasn’t sure...

Well I had it running after around an hour of play, setting the timing, checking the carb settings and cables, cleaned spark plug and kicked over which only lasted for around 5 minutes... then after a few more hours of play with the neighbours, the timing was altered ever so slightly every kick, carb checked again and was running for around 10 mins, took choke off after a few minutes of running but it wasn’t ticking over properly, so whilst we were altering this, it then died, but... the choke cable was pulled accidentally sending revs to 6k and that killed it.

Getting towards the end of the day, checked oil pump settings, again the usual, points etc... kicked over twice and ran BUT only on 4k revs minimum... letting it drop below 4k meant death

----------------------------------------------

Pepperami,

I ordered NOS seals online and they all fitted snug when the engine was split, didn’t slip in with ease but a good tight fit with the seals.

The Condenser wasn’t NOS but haven't had any problems from it.

----------------------------------------------

Last time the bike went up the road before it died, simply checked timing, cleaned spark, and away, but the woodruff key flywheel side was obliterated... the previous owner couldn’t be bothered to get the wheel align with the key, so hammered it on where it was, and on removing this, a new one has been fitted, and all align correctly.

Cheers All!

Thats that problem solved?? ....now we need to know, does it run?? (fingers crossed)

ironic is`nt it? here we all are on a Yamaha site talking about Hondas & Suzukis???

i did try to buy a small Yam! honest guv!!

Try putting a very small amount of neat petrol down the plug hole and use a good (new) plug.

If it runs for a few seconds and then cuts - its probably a fuel related problem.

If it doesn't run - its probably a mechanical related problem.

Good luck.

ATB

J

Cheers for the posts all!

Not had chance to tinker with the bike tonight but will be taking a look tomorrow, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Sorry for the Suzi topic on a Yamaha site... was only a quick post for a few suggestions really.

I will update tomorrow!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online