XS250 into honda frame

gandi
This post is 5365 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everybody, i'm a newbie to this forum and i'll run you through what i'm doing.

Bought a non running VFR400 from ebay to build myself a low rider / streetfighter crossover, found out the reason it was not running was a holed piston on 1 cylinder and no piston and half a con rod on another one. Not a big deal as engine was not part of the look i am after, but did like the rolling chassis as a starting point.

So, started looking on Ebay for an air cooled twin as this will look great in frame, won as xs250 complete engine with carbs for £26.

Engine is now in frame after modding frame and making some adaptor plates and a cradle, vfr engine was stressed part of frame, but looking good. What i'm after is what i will need electricaly, would like to use vfr coils if poss, and starter solinoid, but will get new ones if needed, vfr was cdi ignition not points, but might be eaiser to get xs wiring loom and adapt switching, etc to suit.

Any ideas

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: to the YOC ghandi

the xs250 is a simple engine, and if it is old enough, has points ignition.

assuming you have a points model;

I would use the points coils as they are different then elctronic ignition ones. I'd wire the igniton system separatly from the VF loom, it very simple. the charging system may stump you as it uses a feild coil to create magnetic field ans excite the stator to produce the AC. So i would use a separate charging loom. the way this is going; keep the vf lom for lights and graft in the xs loom just for ignition and charging.

wiring diagram here

xs400D_circuit_diagram.jpg

also check out the sticky in the classic section, the xs400 is virtually the same engine.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online