FZ750 RACE BIKE

KiwiSpeed
This post is 5243 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Building an FZ750 race bike and i need some parts and advise . The reason is i own an independant motorcycle repair shop . I used to race "back in the day" but am now well into my fiftys and many of the young wannabees and cowboys that come to my shop and see some old pics or trophys give me grief about being past it - well - i'm not !!!. Mid 80's is my passion - i found a dead FZ750 and now i want to build a sleeper - something that looks old and slow to the wannabees and cowboys - and go out to a few track days and maybe open up a can of WHUPASS on these youngsters . I have an fzr1000 donor engine for the top end to put on the 750 6 speed tranny . Now i need some downdrafts , cams and a pipe - anybody help ?. I also am thinking about grafting on the front and rear from a '97 gsxr750 that i have lying around - big brakes - wide tyres - and probably some machining needed . Does anybody have performance parts they wish to sell - any free advise will be appreciated . I will post pics as i go . Thanks , Ian .

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ian I can't help with performance mod's & I'm guessing you are fairly clued up regards the FZR top end mod from the sound of things but I can help with the front forks/brakes. The yokes fom an 87-88 FZR1000 Genesis (pre exup) will bolt straight to your FZ head stock & give you a much wider range of forks/wheel/brakes combination to choose from. As you know the FZ has thin 39mm forks, a 16" front wheel & single piston calpiers fitted as standard. With the FZR yokes fitted to my FZ I now have 41mm FZR600 foxeye forks which allow for R1 blue spot calpiers or any of the later Yamaha calipers with 100mm bolt spacings. This also means you can fit a 17" front wheel from a TRX850/FZR600 etc giving a wider choice of tyre. Rear end is the same story with the 1000 Genesis arm slotting straight in allowing for the wider wheel & 160 rear tyre.

Are you sure you want more performance ? I'm told that with the 1000cc pistons, carbs etc fitted to the FZ you should see in excess of 125bhp & close to 160mph depending on gearing ! I would be tempted to rebuild the cylinder head, get the carbs jetted correctly & fit a decent FZR1000 exhaust. that should be good enough to open several cans of whoopass on any number of youngsters I would have thought ? B)

I look forward to pictures of your progress which ever route you take. FZ's are so cool, even in standard form. :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online