rear shock rebuild

shed hermit
This post is 5380 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello everyone and a merry christmas to you all. ;)

ive not been on for a while, final year of college, and i need a bit of advice on rebuilding a rear mono-shock.

i have looked up the prices and for a standard shock the price is around £200-250 and being a poor student im skint. :(

does anybody know where i can get seals and has anyone rebuilt one themselves??

thanks in advance.

cheers ;)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi oldgit :D

it for the triumph, it burst last year and i never got round to fixing it as the bike was never out due to weather and study. :angry:

i took it off to get the dimensions from eye-to-eye ect. and then stuck it back on.

by looking at it it seems to be the seal burst with hardening, or using too much gunk to clean the back end which has maybe hardened the rubber.

the chrome is ok with no marks or pitting.

so you have a few choices, if its goosed you can no doubt get it repaired professionally (Hagon?) or indeed have a go yourself but you would need something to compress the spring and how will you get the seal out, is it a pressurised item? has it also lost pressure? i'm just guessing, no real experience of this myself, my DT has still got the original 30 year old shock on board ;)

I take it you tried ebay...what Triumph model is it?

will another shock do,,,why not contact sellers of other shocks and badger them for dimensions? i reckon that might be a good way to pursue this.

tried e-bay but the cost of carriage to the west coast of ireland doubles the price of the item.

also looked at other shocks but there is a bit of fabrication required with removing rubber bushes and inserting large brass ones(these bushes are greased)

i should be able to compress the spring and get that off o.k., its whats inside that im not too sure about.

as it has lost its pressure there wont be any oil shooting out at me, it should just be like doing the fork seals on the front???

as for getting the pressure back in once it is rebuilt i was thinking of drilling a hole, tapping it and fitting a valve, the same type as a car tyre, and then adjusting the pressure to suit?? obviosly there will be oil in it aswell.

am i mad??? :blink:

am i mad??? :blink:

Yes.....very :lol:

The thing is though we dont even know if the shock is pressurised or not, and if it is...what pressure?

I would be looking at the route of 'modification of another' myself, you might pick one up cheap and any engineering firm could knock up something to fit the ends. Thats the drawback of living in Ireland i guess, not so much to choose from as over here!

buying anything over here costs an arm and a leg as there are hardly any breakers and the ones that are here are mostly in dublin. :angry: it was a different story when i lived in scotland.

i may just have to look for another shock and see what i can do with it.

cheers

p.s. you are right about the mad bit :lol:

1993 triumph trident 750, the 900 trident is the same. some of them have adjustable suspension fitted but there is a bracket on the frame for the adjuster. not sure about the trophy, tiger ect., i would say they are the same set-up.

thanks for that ;)

glad to see that they are cleaning out the canals :lol:

70quid + postage and do you think it works any better than the pogo stick i have on it just now? :blink:

that is the problem with e-bay you dont really know what you are getting

I think only very early rear shocks with a screwed on rod end could be repaired, but I might be wrong ? :blink:

anyway, here how some types are made

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online