siezing brakes

lee!!!
This post is 5377 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi, my dragstar classic has been sitting around in the snow and ice for a few weeks not being used and i jumped on it the other day and the front brake seems to have siezed a bit. when i ride it, it eventually loosens up a bit but it sits there for a few hours and its siezed again. any ideas please!!?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Salt has a nasty habit of fusing the pads to the disk, no way round it other than dont ride. I suggest you wipe dry the disks after each ride.

hi, my dragstar classic has been sitting around in the snow and ice for a few weeks not being used and i jumped on it the other day and the front brake seems to have siezed a bit. when i ride it, it eventually loosens up a bit but it sits there for a few hours and its siezed again. any ideas please!!?

The caliper is on the point of terminally siezing solid, you are getting the bike to move by wearing just a little bit of pad off and the tiny amount of movement left means it works after a fashion as the heat causes the aluminium caliper to expand more than the cromium piston.

When you park it up and it all cools down the piston doesent shrink as much as the aluminium body and so locks it back up.

You need to strip and service the caliper ASAP or you will be looking for a replacement.

thanx very much, i will get right on it....this may be a silly question for alot of you but ive never serviced one before. i can strip the thing but what exactly is involved with servicing it?

if it is a sliding caliper make sure that it can slide back and forth easily. the best way to check this is to remove the caliper and bracket but leave the brake line connected and see if it slides on the pins.

while you have the caliper(s) off check that the disks are not warped by clamping a rod or steel ruler to the fork leg and about a millimeter from the outside edge of the disk and spin the front wheel.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online