YZF750 LED Indicators

EwOkIE
This post is 5366 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Right this might be an easy answer, but I aint sure...

OH by the Way MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU!!!!.........

Right I just fitted my rear led indicators on my yamaha, blink/flash rate is spot on

Just that when I press left or right, both seem to flash at the same time.

Do I need a bridge rectifier or something as someone mentioned this or another flasher relay

If so where do either of these go.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

normally when you go from "normal" lights to LED's, you need an extra resistance in each line, as an LED has no ohm's resistance (or a blinker relay designed for LED's). But that is only to get the flasher relay to work, and as you say the blink/flash rate is ok, that should not be the problem.

So it looks to me that you maybe mixed up a wire somewhere?

good luck, and merry Christmas too

Right this is what happened, I have 2 LED's at the front and had 2 basic indicators at the rear, which all worked fine.

The rear led's are the ones I wanted to change.

When I fitted the rear LEDS they all flashed like hazards, disconnected the wires and reveresed them, thinking I may have them in the wrong way.

So I completely disconnected the rear set and now when I put on indicators the front flash like hazards and my indicator bulb on the instrument panel isnt working ???

Any ideas.

Right this is what happened, I have 2 LED's at the front and had 2 basic indicators at the rear, which all worked fine.

The rear led's are the ones I wanted to change.

When I fitted the rear LEDS they all flashed like hazards, disconnected the wires and reveresed them, thinking I may have them in the wrong way.

So I completely disconnected the rear set and now when I put on indicators the front flash like hazards and my indicator bulb on the instrument panel isnt working ???

Any ideas.

Right, electricity can be a tricky bugger and its one of its little idiosyncracies that may be messing you about. You have an indicator bulb on the dash. As in singular. To make this work the wiring is such that the left and right turn signal feeds run to it and whichever side is activated the dormant side acts as an earth for the low earthing current of the lamp making it flash.

When you had half and half this could still happen, once you removed the rest of the 'normal' indicators then the normal earth path for the dash lamp is suficient to make the indicators come on, but there is no earth path for the lamp on the dash so it wont light.

If i'm right then your indicators will work fine if you remove the lamp in the dash.

If that proves right the easiest fix will most likely be 2 dash lamps or fit resistors to at least 2 of your indicators, one on each side.

So I remove the lamp in the dash it should work?

I just thought because it wasnt working that It might be blown, open circuit...no?

Just that when I try left and right, I cant hear the relay working just hazard lights with the light on dash.

Will try as you say and remove the bulb and let you know.

Thanks

So I remove the lamp in the dash it should work?

I just thought because it wasnt working that It might be blown, open circuit...no?

Just that when I try left and right, I cant hear the relay working just hazard lights with the light on dash.

Will try as you say and remove the bulb and let you know.

Thanks

The dash lamp works having wires from the left and right circuits going to it. The if you indicate left it will earth through the right circuit. LED lamps need nowhere near the power of a filament lamp something like .2w which as far as a fillament lamp (bulb) is concerned is nothing. The dash bulb alone at 2w will need something like 3 times the power draw of ALL of your indicators to light up.

So your indicators will happily flash away effectively all connected together.

The dash lamp works having wires from the left and right circuits going to it. The if you indicate left it will earth through the right circuit. LED lamps need nowhere near the power of a filament lamp something like .2w which as far as a fillament lamp (bulb) is concerned is nothing. The dash bulb alone at 2w will need something like 3 times the power draw of ALL of your indicators to light up.

So your indicators will happily flash away effectively all connected together.

Blimey Cynic! They should never have got rid of horses, once they go wrong all you got to do is shoot it and get another one!

Blimey Cynic! They should never have got rid of horses, once they go wrong all you got to do is shoot it and get another one!

Nah thats a 95 FZRthou, you should see the latest can-bus systems. Feed return and a couple of signal wires and thats about it, all the units talk to each other. Literally a brain in the bike will tell the brain that works the indicators to make them come on. Then waits to be told to stop it.

Almost impossible to fix roadside, like Peugeot cars, reset the service indicator with the non official programs that are online and after 10 shots the CPU on the car self destructs £900 quid for a new one thanks pluss fitting and set up.

I like the old stuff you can fix them, that thou compared to the latest cross plane stuff is almost steam powerd by comparison. Although i bet if you put 2 average road riders on em there wouldnt be a lot in it.

Also i've ridden a horse once. I'd sooner have Foamys Jawa/CZ thing.

Havent had a chance to check bike yet, as its been to cold with all the snow.

Just to clarify some things,

I should remove the bulb from the dash and indicators should work?

Asking this because before when this all started I had 2 LED's on the front and 2 Standard on the rear (worked perfectly)

Disconnected the 2 Rear to LED's - All 4 flashed like hazards

Disconnected the 2 rear - still flashes like hazards even with the 2 standard on the rear again... have I blown the relay?

Havent had a chance to check bike yet, as its been to cold with all the snow.

Just to clarify some things,

I should remove the bulb from the dash and indicators should work?

Asking this because before when this all started I had 2 LED's on the front and 2 Standard on the rear (worked perfectly)

Disconnected the 2 Rear to LED's - All 4 flashed like hazards

Disconnected the 2 rear - still flashes like hazards even with the 2 standard on the rear again... have I blown the relay?

It may be the dash bulb, they are wired in such a way as the relay feeds the switch so if they are flashing properly the relay is fine. The bar switch selects one side or the other and the dash lamp is the only common connection between the two sides.

• 2 weeks later...

Right this is where i am at, tried to take out dash lamp to see if indicators would work.

But didnt have the patience to remove the screen to get to the screws behind clocks.

You mentioned fitting a resistor to each of the rear indicators, which resistor do I need or would this do :

Resistors for indicators

I heard that IN5402 or IN4007 would do it, but checked online and found out there diodes.

Thanks

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online