Bikes and Winter

NEwin
This post is 5391 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey,

This is my first winter with a bike, and I wasn't sure if they needed any special care during the colder months. Basically, I'm gonna be away for about a month, so I was just wandering if there is anything I should do to prevent the bike from becoming damaged due to the cold, especially since it won't be used for a while. I don't have anywhere to store it inside so my options might be limited.

cheers!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Depends how long you are going to store it, but as a minimum drain the carb, remove the battery and keep it indoors or on an optimate. Lube and grease all the regular service items IE cables etc. Putting a cover over the bike may help keep the worst of the weather off it.

As with any liquid cooled engine(if yours is ?), make sure it has a good dose of anti-freeze in the coolant.

you may want to run the engine once you`ve topped up with anti-freeze to ensure the new stuff does`nt just sit in the expansion tank.

if it`s going to sit outside for a while you may want to consider an exhaust plug-- like the moto-cross boys use when cleaning thier bikes.

just dont forget to remove it :huh: when come to try and use youe bike again :blink:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online