DT 175 something or other...

CameronMac
This post is 5279 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all, new to the forum but glad I found it. Just bought what appears to be a 1979 Dt 175 for 160$. This is my first bike and I'm planning on a complete restore. First problem I've ran into is the age of this thing, everyone keeps telling me it couldn't be a 79 because of the shocks. So With a couple of pictures I'll leave it up to you guys to decide.

*Surprisingly there's almost no rust on this bike, it was just extremely dirty!

otherfront.jpg

frontzt.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome Cameron, Yep looks like a 79 DT175E, over here they were DT175MX, great little bikes, ive had mine from new :D

Concurr, give us the frame and or engine no and we can tell you properly but with the oil tank on the left and the round swingarm its most likely the 79.

Yip i"l 2nd that [1979] Its the first of the mono-shock 175s , The DT250/400 . Were introdused in 1977.

The twinshock 175 was still in circulation to late1978 , Restore it cameron" as much fun as riding itcool.gif

Oh good that clears things up, I was confused because I've been hearing MX, E and somewheres I heard 175F. I'm away from the Garage but I'll have the numbers up later in the week. Thanks for the help guys I'm sure I'll be back with a ton of questions.

Thought of some more questions for you guys :D I got the bike from a guy who had bought it from another guy who had bought it... well you get the idea. Point is I don't have any papers for the thing whatsoever. I'd like to know before I go into full restoration mode if I could get this thing registered or not. I live in New Brunswick Canada and I would call the DOT but it's closed till after Christmas. Do any of you know if there would be a way of getting new papers from Yamaha or if theres a general age for bikes that make it acceptable to get new or "Antique" or "Classic". What I really need to know is any information on registering a bike with no title :P

Thought of some more questions for you guys :D I got the bike from a guy who had bought it from another guy who had bought it... well you get the idea. Point is I don't have any papers for the thing whatsoever. I'd like to know before I go into full restoration mode if I could get this thing registered or not. I live in New Brunswick Canada and I would call the DOT but it's closed till after Christmas. Do any of you know if there would be a way of getting new papers from Yamaha or if theres a general age for bikes that make it acceptable to get new or "Antique" or "Classic". What I really need to know is any information on registering a bike with no title :P

Sorry havent a clue on the licence laws in Canada. Start a new thread in general and call it something along the lines of Reregistering a bike without documents/title. You get my meaning. Best of luck, need any info for the build just shout. Myself and OGOAB can cover most all of the bike and its variants.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online