xs400 - MAC exhaust - anyone with experience?

bznchris
This post is 5360 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The previous owner modified the stock exhaust into a 2 into 1 style. However, he didn't think of oil filter cover access when he did so. So as it is now, I have to remove the exhaust to change the oil. And I'm not liking that.

I did a little searching for complete 2 into 1 systems and found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150391795363&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=19c3d9971250a0b582e041e0ffda7233&rvr_id=&ua=WVF%3F&itemid=150391795363

Has anyone tried one of these? How is the fit? How is the sound? Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The previous owner modified the stock exhaust into a 2 into 1 style. However, he didn't think of oil filter cover access when he did so. So as it is now, I have to remove the exhaust to change the oil. And I'm not liking that.

I did a little searching for complete 2 into 1 systems and found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150391795363&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=19c3d9971250a0b582e041e0ffda7233&rvr_id=&ua=WVF%3F&itemid=150391795363

Has anyone tried one of these? How is the fit? How is the sound? Thanks!

reading on this forum somewhere, they don't sound good and not good on power!!

hopefully someone who has actually used one can commet further

these look cool and could be adapted HERE

drewps

reading on this forum somewhere, they don't sound good and not good on power!!

hopefully someone who has actually used one can commet further

these look cool and could be adapted HERE

drewps

appreciate it, drewpy. 36 euros to ship one of those little mufflers stateside though! ouch!

I guess I'm more looking for a set of pipes that would allow access to the oil filter. I could weld the muffler I have onto them.

you can get a set of pipes made up for you. A friend did and it only cost £60 for the two and it was in stainless steel!!

you can get a set of pipes made up for you. A friend did and it only cost £60 for the two and it was in stainless steel!!

hmmmmmmmm. stainless steel would be nice since they're getting covered by exhaust wrap. I'll have to look into that.

Would these 'peashooters' work on a 1978 XS400 lol?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Norton-Commando-Reverse-Cone-Seamless-Mufflers_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4836deda4fQQitemZ310158219855QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Are oil filter/drain plug clearance issues only related to the headpipes and not the muffler itself (motorcycle newbie, never replaced my oil yet!, so not sure of the answer).

Would these 'peashooters' work on a 1978 XS400 lol?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Norton-Commando-Reverse-Cone-Seamless-Mufflers_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4836deda4fQQitemZ310158219855QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Are oil filter/drain plug clearance issues only related to the headpipes and not the muffler itself (motorcycle newbie, never replaced my oil yet!, so not sure of the answer).

You could probably get those to work. It looks like the outlet on those mufflers might constrict exhaust flow though; I'd probably stay away from them myself.

And yes, oil filter/drain plug issues are affected by the placement of the pipes. The previous owner of my bike modified the pipes into a 2 into 1 system and one of the pipes runs directly across the oil filter leaving no room to remove the filter. But stock pipes retain access to the oil filter/drain plug, so if you've still got the stockers you should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

You could probably get those to work. It looks like the outlet on those mufflers might constrict exhaust flow though; I'd probably stay away from them myself.

And yes, oil filter/drain plug issues are affected by the placement of the pipes. The previous owner of my bike modified the pipes into a 2 into 1 system and one of the pipes runs directly across the oil filter leaving no room to remove the filter. But stock pipes retain access to the oil filter/drain plug, so if you've still got the stockers you should be fine.

Wondering if drewp had any advice on putting an 'upswept' exhaust like Peashooters on an XS400 ... Would it constrict exhaust flow? Heard some give alot of power to bike (at least the Norman Hyde ones). Wit to pass inspection though, not sure how loud they are :).

Wondering if drewp had any advice on putting an 'upswept' exhaust like Peashooters on an XS400 ... Would it constrict exhaust flow? Heard some give alot of power to bike (at least the Norman Hyde ones). Wit to pass inspection though, not sure how loud they are :).

there was a german track race called the yamaha cup which used the xs400 for a while. the bikes weren't heavily modified except for rear sets fairings.

the exhausts were not changed at all!!

I have seen racing exhausts which are reverse cone megas but not pea shooters and if you wanted them upswept, you will need to change the gear change footrest and brake pedal postions, not impossible but mucha luca!!

I have seen racing exhausts which are reverse cone megas but not pea shooters and if you wanted them upswept, you will need to change the gear change footrest and brake pedal postions, not impossible but mucha luca!!

Darn, But I may be tempted to ask my mechanic to give it a try :) ...

He may be able to bend some metal into a head pipe that will go around stuff so muffler can just strap on the end kinda like this I'm thinking...

Thruxton.jpg

Peashooters look great on some cafe bikes :), esp that Thruxton ...

and armyofda12mnkeys, looking closer at those peashooters, I don't think you would have a problem with restriction at all. don't know what I was thinking...

maybe thinking of this?

peahub2_1441734c.jpg

:lol:

Darn, But I may be tempted to ask my mechanic to give it a try :) ...

He may be able to bend some metal into a head pipe that will go around stuff so muffler can just strap on the end kinda like this I'm thinking...

Peashooters look great on some cafe bikes :), esp that Thruxton ...

i'd check the dimensions so they look right against the bike, maybe photoshop a pair on so you can see for sure if it works. its amazing what looks good on 1 bike is not right on another!

Curious, my mechanic has done custom headpipes/exhaust below,

Not sure what you call 'em as there is no muffler 'add-on':

Any advantages of an exhaust like this (or disadvantages)?

I recon they don't sound as good, there's no back pressure to seal the incoming charge on valve overlap so there might be some HP lost.

the reverse cones are LOUD though!

I recon they don't sound as good, there's no back pressure to seal the incoming charge on valve overlap so there might be some HP lost.

the reverse cones are LOUD though!

curious, what do the reverse cones on the end do, that makes them louder? like it seems like it either should muffle the sound coming out,

or muffle it into a smaller hole where it comes whistling out since more pressure.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online