Japanese Exhaust System Disease

mtnmason
This post is 5279 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I heard about this dreaded affliction awhile back on another forum. I wondered if anyone here was familiar. The beautiful cocktail shakers on my 77 rotted through after 15 years dormancy in a barn. That is the only rust whatsoever on the bike. There is one hole in the bottom of each one, the left being worse. I patched that with Quicksteel and it worked to some degree. It pops and spits in quite an unbecoming way when I pull to a stop - sounds great under load. I cant bear the thought of having to replace them, but they need to go. I dont have the equipment or technical ability to cut them open and weld them back together. Has anyone used these? They're a tad pricey and not too attractive. I havent been able to find any originals in good shape for sale. Suggestions? Comparable experiences?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i have the same problem (shitty rotten exhausts) with my XS`s.

no i have never used that company, but those pipes look like just what i`m looking for.

i am just very wary about buying from abroad over the internet??.

Motad still do a 2-1 pipes for the XS (i`m sure.... i think?? :unsure: ) i dont know if that is of any help or are you trying to keep your bike completely original.