Hall effect Sensor testing

Speedshop
This post is 5302 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

You probably don't know, but I manufacture new CDi units for vintage Yamaha's. As a result, I don't get out much, have a nightshift 'tan' and an extensive collection of electrical data and knowledge.

Modern bikes have ECU's with 'hall effect' sensors to provide ignition timing and engine speed information (well my BMW does).

When a fault is encountered and trouble shooting has to be done- in the absence of plug in OEM diagnostics I've used an oscilloscope to look at the output of hall effect sensors to see if they are working.

Now I've worked out a really simple way of testing hall effect sensors, it is cheap and easy (no 'scope required).

I say easy you do need a certain amount of understanding how they work, but its as simple as connecting 3 wires and looking for a light on/light off result.

I have no idea if hall effect sensors feature on newer Yams......but if they do how useful would a simple tool box tester be?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You probably don't know, but I manufacture new CDi units for vintage Yamaha's. As a result, I don't get out much, have a nightshift 'tan' and an extensive collection of electrical data and knowledge.

Modern bikes have ECU's with 'hall effect' sensors to provide ignition timing and engine speed information (well my BMW does).

When a fault is encountered and trouble shooting has to be done- in the absence of plug in OEM diagnostics I've used an oscilloscope to look at the output of hall effect sensors to see if they are working.

Now I've worked out a really simple way of testing hall effect sensors, it is cheap and easy (no 'scope required).

I say easy you do need a certain amount of understanding how they work, but its as simple as connecting 3 wires and looking for a light on/light off result.

I have no idea if hall effect sensors feature on newer Yams......but if they do how useful would a simple tool box tester be?

Maybe it's my age, but I haven't a clue what you're on about.

Maybe it's my age, but I haven't a clue what you're on about.

don't worry about it, it is your age!