Yamaha dragstar 125 not starting

catteenie
This post is 5391 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi!

I am new to motorbikes and bought a 125 dragstar in the sumemr to learn on. The last time I used it was about 6 weeks ago and I went to start it up the other day and it won't start (had been fine before). I have checked the engine cut out switch and put it in neutral etc, filled the petrol, checked and fully charged the battery and took out the spark plugs and had a look (not really sure what I'm looking for, but they were clean and looked ok?).

It turns over and sometimes sounds like it's about to start, but then doesn't.

Anyone know what I should check next?

Thank you!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi!

I am new to motorbikes and bought a 125 dragstar in the sumemr to learn on. The last time I used it was about 6 weeks ago and I went to start it up the other day and it won't start (had been fine before). I have checked the engine cut out switch and put it in neutral etc, filled the petrol, checked and fully charged the battery and took out the spark plugs and had a look (not really sure what I'm looking for, but they were clean and looked ok?).

It turns over and sometimes sounds like it's about to start, but then doesn't.

Anyone know what I should check next?

Thank you!

Bikes can be troublesome to start after a prolonged spell of inactivity. Charge the battery again and try again, use the choke and dont open the throttle.

Bikes can be troublesome to start after a prolonged spell of inactivity. Charge the battery again and try again, use the choke and dont open the throttle.

i know it sounds stupid but have you put the fuel tap on to the on position , i have done it myself gone to start the bike pulled the choke on hit the button nothing then you think UGHHHHH fuel tap ,

pull the fuel line off the carb and make sure petrol is coming through then do as oldgitonabike says

i know it sounds stupid but have you put the fuel tap on to the on position , i have done it myself gone to start the bike pulled the choke on hit the button nothing then you think UGHHHHH fuel tap ,

pull the fuel line off the carb and make sure petrol is coming through then do as oldgitonabike says

I thought newer bikes had no off position and used a vacuum tap...could be wrong though

Ok.....thank you for the suggestions, I will try them out and let you know - definitely had the fuel tap on, cause I looked at it considering whether to turn it to reserve or prime instead at one point.

Prime , is it trying to start (pops bangs)etc charge that battery up first

Wahoo!!! :lol: It's running!!!! Yeah....I am ecstatic! Thank you for your help! It was a combination of your ideas that worked.

First I turned the fuel to prime and tried that a couple of times, it nearly started and then I turned it back to on and tried it again with the choke out and no throttle and it started!!!! I left it running with the choke out for a good 10 mins or so till it settled (it sounded really weak and puttery for a long time) and then put the choke back in slowly when the engine sounded good and it was fine - got straight on it and took it for a ride and it is going good! Yay! Soooo chuffed - thank you. I sure have learnt my lesson not to leave it alone for weeks on end again!

Wahoo!!! :lol: It's running!!!! Yeah....I am ecstatic! Thank you for your help! I sure have learnt my lesson not to leave it alone for weeks on end again!

Yes, I've found you should at least talk to it even if you aren't going to go someplace...left alone they can get brooddddyyyy...... ;)

Good stuff now enjoy it, dont forget that they are now salting the roads so keep the chain and chrome etc clean with a regular wipe down with WD40 on a rag (other products are available ;) )

Ok, thank you for that tip....I will! Thank you for your help :)

Just for reference, here's what I believe happened...

Over time fuel wil evaporate out from the fuel pump.

No biggie, it happens with most bikes when they're left for a spell. But it's the equivalent of running out of/low on petrol.

If you check your handbook section on fuel and running out of, you'll see that you'd have to Prime the system before it'll restart.

Same thing here.

Just for reference, here's what I believe happened...

Over time fuel wil evaporate out from the fuel pump.

No biggie, it happens with most bikes when they're left for a spell. But it's the equivalent of running out of/low on petrol.

If you check your handbook section on fuel and running out of, you'll see that you'd have to Prime the system before it'll restart.

Same thing here.

Thank you....yes, I think you're right. Oh well, something else I've learnt! :D I'm just glad it wasn't anything serious.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online