Air mixture problem?

corby lad
This post is 5397 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi can anyone please help

i have 1990 xj600 roadster

only bought the bike recently so i dont know the bikes history

the bike didnt have a air filter and the filter housing was broke so i got new ones

now its very difficult to start the bike and it seems to lack power

best way to start it is to remove the seat and cover the airintake completely with ma hand

then it seems to start ok but it rouns really rough untill running

new plug made no difference

it seems to run ok once heated although when pulling away if you give it too much throttle

it seems to hesitate

any advice is well apretiated

cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi can anyone please help

i have 1990 xj600 roadster

only bought the bike recently so i dont know the bikes history

the bike didnt have a air filter and the filter housing was broke so i got new ones

now its very difficult to start the bike and it seems to lack power

best way to start it is to remove the seat and cover the airintake completely with ma hand

then it seems to start ok but it rouns really rough untill running

new plug made no difference

it seems to run ok once heated although when pulling away if you give it too much throttle

it seems to hesitate

any advice is well apretiated

cheers

sounds like too much air, is the filter the correct one and seated properly? another thing is to ckeck the carbs choke mechanism is working correctly, can you see the butterly valves operating?

sounds like too much air, is the filter the correct one and seated properly? another thing is to ckeck the carbs choke mechanism is working correctly, can you see the butterly valves operating?

hi thanks for reply

yep the filter is in nice and snug

sorry i do not know how to check the butterflys

hi thanks for reply

yep the filter is in nice and snug

sorry i do not know how to check the butterflys

Me neither, not familiar with the bike, but......

If you remove the filter is it possible to see down to the carb inlets, then operate the choke and you will see them closing

or if you cant, then can you see anything happening around the outside of the carbs....linkages moving for example?

ok i put my hand in had a feel there is 4 cylender like valves that i can push up with ma fingers is this what am looking for?

No they will be the throttle slides, the choke butterfly valve will be behind that (engine side) I suppose what i said earlier is wrong then as you wont see them by looking down the carb...just have to watch the linkages then...check they are operating properly

There could be lots of things wrong - are the rubber manifolds between the carbs and head in good condition? Try xjbikes.com for everything XJ. I joined in the summer and there is LOADS of info on starting bikes, rebuilding carbs etc.Ideal for older XJs.

A previous owner had used some ladies tights instead of an air filter on my bike!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online