help required

lucky 13
This post is 5392 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ive just bought my first rd lc 125 today of my mate it was a runner up until a few weeks ago then it suddenly died tried to bump start it today as it wont kick over when it was bump started the engine tried to fire but it started to squeak i checked plug to make sure it was tight also checked spark which was nice and strong, compression seems ok (i think as ive always worked on lambretta engine`s ) engine smells strongly of petrol so it might be flooding where is the best place to start ive got the workshop manual any help and advice appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

ive just bought my first rd lc 125 today of my mate it was a runner up until a few weeks ago then it suddenly died tried to bump start it today as it wont kick over when it was bump started the engine tried to fire but it started to squeak i checked plug to make sure it was tight also checked spark which was nice and strong, compression seems ok (i think as ive always worked on lambretta engine`s ) engine smells strongly of petrol so it might be flooding where is the best place to start ive got the workshop manual any help and advice appreciated

Siezed ????

I take it that you did have oil in it ????

I'm sure one of the old smokers will be along in a minute (takes them a while these days..) to roll up a fag, doth their flat caps and figure out what's up.......

Er thanks Gas?

What have you acctually done, just died is about as lame as it gets.

Unlike the diesel engines Gas favours these little smokers are a bit of a fussy bunch and discriptions like 'little squeak' dont help much.

First off, plug, clean it, better still chuck it and get a new one and check you have a spark.

Secondly, fuel and how old is it.

Finally to start with, age/mileage and general condition. Airfilter good?, as said 2stroke oil? gearbox oil clean and topped up? Battery good (it doesent affect the spark but plays havoc with any powervalve stuff). If the pipe really stinks of fuel you may have to leave the bike with the plug out for a couple of hours with the piston at half mast to let the fuel in the motor evaporate. Kick it over every so often to speed things up.

That should keep you busy.

Er thanks Gas?

I was thinking about OGoaB, but you must have got him all confused in your smoke trail....

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about OGoaB, but you must have got him all confused in your smoke trail....

ive done nothing to it a mate of mine bought it off ebay he was told it had been serviced and had a a new piston kit fitted it was originaly running thru a kn type filter and no air box he then bought an air box and his brother altered needle setting on carb i cautioned my mate on the benifits of running it in but the first time out on it he took it up to just short of 70 since that happened it started to loose power rad appeared to be loosing coolant and smoking exhaust he also stated it was running hot as well ive since bought it of him with a view to running it thru winter so far ive taken plug out to check condition of thread and to check compression i can turn it over by hand on kick start and there is a really strong smell of petrol ive left plug out with piston mid travel but still no avail it also has a decent spark ive probably built over 40 lambretta engines and a few custom scoots so i know my way round a 2 stroke engine how easy is it to work on these engines and where would the best place be for tools ie conrod /clutch holding tolls and the various extractors cheers in advance

ive done nothing to it a mate of mine bought it off ebay he was told it had been serviced and had a a new piston kit fitted it was originaly running thru a kn type filter and no air box he then bought an air box and his brother altered needle setting on carb i cautioned my mate on the benifits of running it in but the first time out on it he took it up to just short of 70 since that happened it started to loose power rad appeared to be loosing coolant and smoking exhaust he also stated it was running hot as well ive since bought it of him with a view to running it thru winter so far ive taken plug out to check condition of thread and to check compression i can turn it over by hand on kick start and there is a really strong smell of petrol ive left plug out with piston mid travel but still no avail it also has a decent spark ive probably built over 40 lambretta engines and a few custom scoots so i know my way round a 2 stroke engine how easy is it to work on these engines and where would the best place be for tools ie conrod /clutch holding tolls and the various extractors cheers in advance

First job, kick your mate in the bollocks.

Second, the DT/RD motor is an absoloute dream compared to those gastly scoot engines that are stuck in the 60's. Are they still piston ported? Running hot and loosing coolant look like they are pretty well connected. As to the running, open the carb up and see whats gone on inside. Jerking around with the needle is not a good idea if its guess work. It may not have been corrected for the K+N in the first place. Or they may have had a main jet size given to them by K+N.

What age is the bike, probably worth looking inside the top end. Just to make sure your 'mate' hasn't bust a ring. Can't see much being wrong as far as the crank goes, these motors are seriously strong.

Sounds like you want to be changing the main jet on the carb and fixing a water leak, possibly re-set the oil pump while your there.

Oldgitonabike might have a PDF manual around somewhere.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online