Tenere Ratio?

winklepie
This post is 4006 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Evening all

Ive got an 2009 tenere xt660z and have read somewhere that the sprocket ratio isnt that good for off road/ normal riding. I havnt done that many miles on it yet but soon going to the Americas to do 30000 miles on all types of surfaces! I think the standard ratio is 15/45. Has any one changed theirs and for what reason or do you thing the standard is fine? Any opinions welcome.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A second Tenere on the forum....

Well a bloody good choice if might say so.

Right, the Tenere and sprocket ratio's.

I find that on the Green Lanes over here, especially the ones around my part of the world, that the Tenere does need to have a bigger rear, maybe just one tooth. However, having riden the bike for long distances over lots of fast rough roads, fire roads and gravel (Romaina, Greece, Finland, Sweden) I'd say in stock form the bike is perfectly setup in that department. What you will need to do is ditch the EO tyres (that's tires for the Americans!) and fit some TCK80's. These are prety much the best dual purpose tyre for these bikes.

Insofar as a trip to the USA goes, I don't actually think you need to do anything. The bike will be fine. If you read TBM you'll see Jenny Morgan has just completed the Heroes Legend on a Tenere, this is after covering 25,000 miles in the US onthe bike before it's Dakar make-over. Just to give you some idea of the pedigree of the bike you've just bought - Jenny and her Tenere were the only ride & bike to actually ride the entire event from Paris to Dakar, leaving KTM and BMUU riders to hitch rides in support trucks, some even pushing their bikes over the line.... Jenny was place just short of the podium, not bad considering she is a privateeer.

Jenny's USA trip was well documented on XT660.com, HUBB and ADVRider - Search for 'JMo' or 'JMO & Piglet'

One way to get more out of the Tenere, well any 660 motor, is to increase the air input. DNA produce a filter setup that gives you around 10% more power and ooodles of torque, all for the combined cost (for filters and PC-V) of les than the cheapest set of cans! They even supply the right maps for PC-V (Power Commander V). If power is an option for you, then don't bother with cans as the biggest gains can be found in changing the air filters!

I don't know what you are thinging of in the way of luggage ? There is a guy on XT660.com who makes rear racks for a few quid, well made and they give you a good platform to tie stuff down, if it's lights then I can help you with some lighting bars, take a look at XT660 there are endless different mods you can do to improve the bike even further.

There are a few issues with the bike, the Cush Rubbers are crap, the OE engine bars, side/top case locks ain't great, and there is a growing issue with the rectifier connection on some bikes (if it's not connected right) - all of these are written about to excess over on XT660.com if you want to come over, introduce yourself, say helo I'm sure you'l get all of your questions answered and more. Or if you preffer to stay here I'll be happy to help you out.

Bloody hell!

Thats the most in depth and longest reply i have ever had and i am extremely pleased with it! So cheers to start with.

The journey i am doing is from the bottom of Argentina all the way up to Alaska so the road surfaces will differ greatly but i think i will take your advise and stick with the stock chain and sprockets, i have had know problem with them so far. It is for replacement purposes on the way up as i will probably wear a set out, as well as a set of tyres.

Sorry for being a retard but what is TBM and DNA?

Im ok for luggage, got Hepco and Becker stuff,seems ok but only time and miles will tell.

How do the Teneres perform fully loaded with weight for long distances? I went to wales (about 300 miles each way) 2 up with a bit of luggage and it sat at 80 quite happy but i was still running it in at the time so didnt want to give it a hand full.

Where/what is the best place to get the air filters from?

Again thanks for your excellent reply

Bloody hell!

Thats the most in depth and longest reply i have ever had and i am extremely pleased with it!

Gas up... always take the time to give good and in depth replies, a valuable member of this forum IMO, youre lucky to have found him as you will get top advise for international riding and on that bike too :thumb::D

TBM = Trail bike monthly

DNA = a little Gilera moped he's got his eye on :lol:

The journey i am doing is from the bottom of Argentina all the way up to Alaska

I hate people like you. I should have been in the US this year, but the exchage rate crash put an end to that, or rather postponed it a while. Myabe I'll get a few weeks riding in Canada when we go next Christmas. Anyway, if that is your route read, if you've not already, Lois on the Loose, by Lois Pryce. She is the other half of the Prince of motorcycle travel Austen Vince (Mondo Enduro ? Fastest guys around the world, propper around the world, not just London->Russia->America.) She did the same trip in the opposite direction, alone and without a clue!

Sorry for being a retard but what is TBM and DNA?

TBM is as OG says, -> www.trailbikemag.com

DNA make high flow, easily maintained air filters -> www.dnafilters.com

Im ok for luggage, got Hepco and Becker stuff,seems ok but only time and miles will tell.

There is a guy, Scott Nettlston, he is a South African living in the UK. He has just returned from a RTW (round the world) tour on his Tenere. He was with a group of others on Tenere's (who I don't know), some of them used the HB pannier frames with Pelican Cases. The cases were fine but the frames did suffer some cracks and breaks in Russia. The good thing about these is they are easily welded in just about any part of the world. People might be starving but they can still fix the plough! I think any frames would go under the extreme riding the guys were doing.

Scott suffered the problem with the rectifier and the EO engine bars. IF you have considered the Yamaha EO engine bars, then take a look at www.off-the-road.de and the sump guard. This is the product Jenny used in the Sahara last month, and is only a few quid more than the engine bars. The rectifier issue can be helped by greasing around the connector and making sure it is propperly connected (should be TWO clicks, not just one when it goes together)

How do the Teneres perform fully loaded with weight for long distances? I went to wales (about 300 miles each way) 2 up with a bit of luggage and it sat at 80 quite happy but i was still running it in at the time so didnt want to give it a hand full.

These bikes go all day, every day. Last year I covered 8500 miles in 19 days, I had one day off in the middle, but rode from Ooop Norf in the UK throuh northern Europe, Scandinavia, Arctic Circle, then down to Greece and across to Portugal before riding home. The longest single ride was from Southern France through Spain to Portugal, then north to Amsterdam. I did this ride in around 30 hours, covering something like 1500 miles!

80mph is about it's cruising limit, when you go over 70 the bike starts to guzzle fuel. Stay below 70 and you'll cover 300 miles between fuel stops, it drops to about 200-250 when you go above that.

Where/what is the best place to get the air filters from?

Fran at www.xt660.com has a deal with DNA and he can get you these direct from the makers, they also supply the PowerCommander maps to.

DNA = a little Gilera moped he's got his eye on :lol:

Well, I wanted something a little quicker, and you don't have to wear your lid propperly, and you're allowed to text whilst riding, and it doesn't hurt when you fall off, so you can wear tracksuits..... :P

Gas up

Again excellent reply!

How do you get on with the seat doing all those miles? I dont find it to comfy but i did get an airhawk recently but havnt tried it yet

No problem with the seat, it's good for about 200 miles a day, but I also have an AirHawk that I use for the more serious distances (although not if I'm off-tarmac).

I find that the right clothes help, seamless undercrackers, and as seamless as possible pants. If I reide with leathers then it gets a bit uncomfortable after 150-180 miles, if I wear the HG Toureg pants I can go for much longer. I think the trick is breathable, seamless gear. I've tried all kinds of stuff but I find the Hien Gericke stuff suits me very well.

I do tend to move about in the saddle a fair bit, and you'll find that in tight twisty bits, like mountian single track roads you get a way better feel if you ride it enduro style (standing up), you can make this easier by removing the footpeg rubbers (a bolt under the pegs and they come off), or better still replacing the pegs all together, I've got PivotPegz but you can get cheaper options from Ebay for around £30 deliverd (quality isn't that great but they are good value). The Tenere uses the same pegs as the Yamaha YZ 80, 125, 250, 500, WR 200 or 500. These make another great, simple mod that changes the handling of the bike, especially on loose ground.

Now, what else....

Handguards ?

Luggage?

Suspension ?

Lighting?

GEEEEEEE Gas up... your some man for the detail,,Fair Play,, where you get the time, I have traveled all of Ireland and most off Scotland, pitty I didnt know of you then for tips and tricks !!!!

where you get the time,

If a job's worth doing, then is far easier to do it right and thorogh first time, rather than coming back over and over and over. The guys who work with me hate me for it....

, pitty I didnt know of you then for tips and tricks !!!!

I've just picked things up over time, reading, listening and asking the right people questions. Not all the answers suit everyone, but I do try to give sound balanced opinions and advice. Oh, and talking to seasoned travelers is always useful.

• 3 years later...

HI GU-LG,

Lust bought myself a 2009 XY660Z Tenere. Love it. I'm researching a Power Commander V in combo with DNA filter mods to stage 3.

Here's the question - When looking at the power commander site for appropriate maps there appear to be only two for download, one for a completely standard bike and another for a standard bike with the snorkel removed. Do you know if anyone else has developed maps for the DNA stage 3 setup?

Cheers,

Millsy

(No posts since 2009 - hope there's still someone around).

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online