bodgeing up a rusty exhaust

middleway
This post is 5417 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

I am doing up an old DT175, went to clean the rust off the pipe and it is rusted right through. I am doing this rebuild on a minimal budget, do you think if I wrapped the pipe in ceramic exhaust tape like this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JDM-Performance-Ceramic-exhaust-tape-11-meter-roll_W0QQitemZ200406739568QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2ea92c2a70#ht_1112wt_941 or some other kind of tape it would hold together? Would it stick to the rusty surface?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all

I am doing up an old DT175, went to clean the rust off the pipe and it is rusted right through. I am doing this rebuild on a minimal budget, do you think if I wrapped the pipe in ceramic exhaust tape like this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JDM-Performance-Ceramic-exhaust-tape-11-meter-roll_W0QQitemZ200406739568QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2ea92c2a70#ht_1112wt_941 or some other kind of tape it would hold together? Would it stick to the rusty surface?

Thanks

no, maybe a second hand replacement would be cheaper?

can you not weld it?

drewps

One question - how big is the hole (diameter not depth) cos one of the best and most inexpensive ways to plug & seal a leaky exhaust is the metal putty by pattex which you can by at any hardware store. Apply when cold and let it set - easy, effective (& cheap)

Hi all

Thanks

Not a chance, that stuff is to reduce the under bonet temp on souped up rice burners.

The singularily most vitaly important part of a stroker is the expantion chamber, it MUST be sealed or the engine will pull air and melt the piston. You can skimp on many things but i really urge you to spend the money on a replacement pipe, or get a good quality repair.

Thanks guys, yeah the pipe has had it, I would like something a little unique, where the pipe bolts onto the engine there is only a little rust, maybe see if I can find an MX pipe and mod it to fit. I saw one guy on here did it with a cr125 pipe and got a good result.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online