1992 Seca II Charging Problem

mikesundrop
This post is 5350 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everybody, just joined. I've got a 92 Seca II that I'm having some problems with. I bought it in May of this year with 7600 miles on it and I rode it about 4000 miles with no problems. Then, one night the lights got dim and it started to die at low RPM's. I kept it revved up and made it home and found the battery dead. I took it to Advance and got it tested, thinking it had dropped a cell or shorted, but it checked good. They charged it for me, checked it again and it was good. With no load, the battery had 12.9 volts and with the bike off, but the ignition on (headlights and ignition energized) it showed 12.6 volts. When I started it, it dropped to about 12.4 volts idling, 12.5 volts @5000 RPM.

The general rule is overvoltage means regulator/recitifier, undervoltage means stator. Well, I checked the alternator windings and they are perfectly in spec. I've also disconnected and reconnected every connection in the system with no change.

After fully charging the battery , the bike will only run about 30 miles before it's too dead to turn over and it leaves me on the side of the road after 35.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i would say it needs 13 - 14 volts @ 5k revs.

sounds like the regulator/rectifier to me

drewps

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online