xs400 cafe process

hebrew hammer
This post is 5285 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys I thought I would like to show my progress of my xs400.

Here is the hump I am struggling with.

cimg3319d.jpg w640.png

I was trying to cut small foam blocks and glue them together but they keep crumbling when I sand them.

cimg3320.jpg w640.png

This is what it looks like so far. Excuse the tank it was a 5 min bomb job to see if the color scheme is good

cimg3321f.jpg w640.png

I think its too square?

cimg3322.jpg w640.png

is the hump too far back?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok guys I bought some foam stuff and its curing as we speak. Here is what I did...

I have a dirty work area haha.

cimg3323.jpg w640.png

anyways since the issue was getting a stable flat seat pan, I wrapped the seat section in aluminum foil and cut out a shape I want for the bump

cimg3324.jpg w640.png

cimg3325u.jpg w640.png

cimg3326d.jpg w640.png

Now on to the foam part. It said to wear gloves..LISTEN TO THEM! I have sticky foamy fingers!

cimg3327n.jpg w640.png

Hump looks uneven but I can fill it out later with the floral blocks

cimg3328.jpg w640.png

I put a floral block on the right side cause it did not cover that section.

cimg3329z.jpg w640.png

Now the hard part...wait 8 hours before it fully cures and I can sand to my hearts content.

Alrighty guys sorry for the long wait but here are the parts that came

cimg3331.jpg w640.png

The mirrors seem pretty damn solid, the clubman bars seem pretty cool but the rear sets are crap, they already have scratches on them even though they have a dull sheen and the mounting points (50mm distance) was suppose to mount without problems but the mounting holes on the rearsets have excess metal on them and they are spaced about 51mm or something.

Now here is the seat

cimg3333s.jpg w640.png

cimg3334m.jpg w640.png

cimg3335.jpg w640.png

any comments? The seat section was replaced with a cereal box since sanding the foam would take forever, also I got a friend who helped me out.

personally i would have ditched the indicators and used smaller ones elswhere or use a handlebar mounted set which show fore and aft.

you could have cut away the back bridge/seat support and cut away the plastic inner guard so you have a flatter base to work from, that way you could have put an aftermarket seat and be able to put your battery in there!!

the seat you have made looks more comfy than the standard aftermarket ones and you have done a great job there mate.

have you thought of using an xs750 tank for the cafe look. there is one on youtube and looks the dogs.

well done so far keep it up

drewps

BTW i think you can file the foam with a rasp file

personally i would have ditched the indicators and used smaller ones elswhere or use a handlebar mounted set which show fore and aft.

you could have cut away the back bridge/seat support and cut away the plastic inner guard so you have a flatter base to work from, that way you could have put an aftermarket seat and be able to put your battery in there!!

the seat you have made looks more comfy than the standard aftermarket ones and you have done a great job there mate.

have you thought of using an xs750 tank for the cafe look. there is one on youtube and looks the dogs.

well done so far keep it up

drewps

BTW i think you can file the foam with a rasp file

updates!

I had to take the seat the seat in the house because it was drizzling while it was curing. So here are the pics, currently it has 1 layer of glass mat (sanded down of course) and I just put a layer of glass cloth today. I plan to put 1 more layer of each.

cimg3337.jpg w640.png

cimg3339.jpg w640.png

cimg3340.jpg w640.png

I will prob sand it and trim it down tomorrow before I lay any more glass. Also as you can see there are indents where the shock and turn signals are. I plan on getting the small aftermarket oval type instead of sticking with those bulbous things.