FJ 1200 STARTING PROBLEMS

XJ750
This post is 5247 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

4 months ago, i bought a 1989 FJ1200, in excelent conditions, recently it starts to give me starting problems, i have to boost it so it will start, i took the battery and they did full check up and test and they said it is in excelent conditions. i took off the starter, the brushs and the bushing are in very good condition.

Anyone had the same problem or knows what the problem could be?

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello,

4 months ago, i bought a 1989 FJ1200, in excelent conditions, recently it starts to give me starting problems, i have to boost it so it will start, i took the battery and they did full check up and test and they said it is in excelent conditions. i took off the starter, the brushs and the bushing are in very good condition.

thanks

I think you need to be a bit more specific, when you press the starter button does it turn the engine over but not fire? If so it's not the battery.

Or if you press the starter button do you just hear a click, then it could be the solenoid or wiring problems.

When you say you have to boost it do you mean jump start it with with another battery or from a car battery whilst engine is running? In that case it is definatly the battery.

Hi the FJ's have a known problem with poor earth connection. The earth strap runs from the Battery to the rear of the engine block, and its a right pain to get at. The easiest option is to run another earth strap from Batt -Ve to a mounting point on the block.

Hope this helps.

Adam.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

When i hit the starter button, the engine turn but slow, the starter turn slowly,no power and i can see all the lights as front light and the lights on the dash, they all go out, it seems that the starter sucking too much power.

Sometimes , it starts with no problem.

First start in the day, it gives me this problem, after i ride it for a bit, if i stop, it will restart but you can see the whole dash and front light almost shut off from the starter sucking power.

I was at the yamaha dealer and without they check the bike, they told me that i have high compression and this why it is hard to starts, but how can i get high compression?

I took off the starter and it is in good shape , brushs,bearing, everything.

When the bike doesn;t start because the starter doesn't turn the engine fast enough, i have a battery pack, the one you charge at home and you can have it with you to boost any car. once i put it on, the bike starts immediatly.

The previous owner changed the battery one year and half ago, do you think the battery is not powerfull enough for the bike?

I do apreciate your help very much.

Thanks

JAY

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

I did put another earth from the battery to the engine block and still have the same problem.

When i try to start the bike, the battery go down from 12 v to 6.4 v. i took the battery again to NAPA and canadian tire and they both checked the battery and said that it is good. but my friend has A kawasaki zx11, WE TOOK the battery from his bike and put it on my bike and my bike started immediatly and the battery didn;t go down less than 10.57 v.

does that means that my battery is dead? i think it is. but why without starting the bike it shows 12.8 v and canadiantire and NAPA checked it and said it is good and nothing wrong with the battery.

now they test and check the battery with no load on it.

do you think that the battery is dead and need new one? if so how many CCA it should be?

Thanks again

Sounds like it's had it for sure (or it never had the cojones for the job in the first place!).

Any halfway decent bike battery of 14A/h capacity should be able to handle the job, most give a figure round about 200 for CCA, so that should be the goal.

Personally I would drop a Hawker Odyssey in there (PC680, PC680MJ probably - but you should check with the supplier that it will fit) - a bit more expensive, but can be regarded as a 'fit and forget' device. Had Odysseys in my last 3 bikes with never a problem starting, even after a couple of weeks in a shed at -flipping cold degrees! Well worth the money, IMHO.

You're welcome

Sounds like it's had it for sure (or it never had the cojones for the job in the first place!).

Any halfway decent bike battery of 14A/h capacity should be able to handle the job, most give a figure round about 200 for CCA, so that should be the goal.

Personally I would drop a Hawker Odyssey in there (PC680, PC680MJ probably - but you should check with the supplier that it will fit) - a bit more expensive, but can be regarded as a 'fit and forget' device. Had Odysseys in my last 3 bikes with never a problem starting, even after a couple of weeks in a shed at -flipping cold degrees! Well worth the money, IMHO.

You're welcome

I bought an '86 FJ1200 this year and over the course of the season I had 3 or 4 instances where my battery went dead on me. I to was told that my battery & starter are in good shape. I believe there is a short in the electrical system. Every time I used the handlebar lock my tail & marker lights came on. No big deal, I am taking it apart this winter to paint it at which time I will go over the entire electrical system. Our bikes are 20+ years old we have to expect things like this to happen.

Hello,

thanks

Hello ,

Anybody has an idea about 1985 kawasaki ninja 900?

beside my fj 1200, i just bought a 1985 kawasaki ninja 900(top gun bike).

the starter is draging, i tried to take it off, so i took off the alternator, the starter has two screws, i took off one of them, the second one is hitting the clutch case (the little tube where i put oil in the bike), the screw needs to go out another 3 mm only to be able to take off the starter, can;t go an further, it is hitting the oil tube. anybody has the same bike and passed with the same problem? do i have to take off the whole right side to be able to take off the starter?

Thanks

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online