rd350lc reving to high

up.yours
This post is 5356 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

just replaced the throttle cable ,nice smooth kink free run to grip and nice snap back,but its reving its tits off on tickover ,6500rpm i tried to adjust it out t grip then at carb ends i also tried to alter the tickover screws but its still 6500rpm it revs to 9000rpm if i twist the grip but falls back to 6500 rpm what can be up with it.ta kev

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

erm?dunno al give it a go int morning ,if it does what is it.

You have 'Windows' in your carbs with that model, with the engine stopped, open the throttle slowly and see if bothe the carbs open fully at the same time. There is an indent on each throttle slide, you will see it appear in the window.

ok,what i had done is put one slider in the opposit way around,so now it ticks over,but its too slow so shall i adjust the carbs or the cable to raise the tick over,

ok,what i had done is put one slider in the opposit way around,so now it ticks over,but its too slow so shall i adjust the carbs or the cable to raise the tick over,

Adjust the cables so that both indents appear in the windows at the same time.

Use the knurled screws to adjust the idle speed, havent you got a manual?

Adjust the cables so that both indents appear in the windows at the same time.

Use the knurled screws to adjust the idle speed, havent you got a manual?

no ,i have you instead thankyou ogb, now these knurled screws are they the ones with the springs around them.

no ,i have you instead thankyou ogb, now these knurled screws are they the ones with the sprigs around them.

lol. I imagine they are ...yes (the biggest of the two) the trouble is...its years since I had a 2 stroke twin and cant remember what the procedure is :huh: You wouldnt want one cylinder doing all the work, it should be shared equally between the two. i could guess that you remove one plug at a time and set each side seperately but dunno for sure...maybe YPVS Tone or Merv or anyone else who knows can enlighten us? :)

What you need to do first is with the engine Stopped look on the RH sides of the carbs and you will see a window on each carb. Open the throttle fully and make sure both dimples in the slides apear in the centre of the window if not adjust the cable on the top of the carb to raise or lower the slide so both slides are at the same height with the dimples in the centre of the window.Now start the bike and warm it up. Stop the engine and remove the RH plug cap and put a spare plug in the plug cap and rest the plug on the cylinder head.Start the engine and adjust the throttle stop screw on the LH carb (the bigger screw on the side of the carb with spring behind it) until the tacho reads 1000RPM .Stop the engine and remove the spare plug from RH plug cap and put cap back on the RH plug.Remove LH plug cap and put spare plug in cap and rest on the head.Start engine set tickover on RH carb to 1000rpm. Stop engine and remove spare plug and replace cap on LH plug.Before you restart engine unscrew each throttle stop screw out the SAME amount say about one full turn each. If the tickover is to high or too low screw each throttle stop screw in or out the Same amount as each other to keep the carbs balanced. Tony.

thanks tony i followed the above to the letter ,i now have my bike back to what it was smile.gif also i havnt forgot you ogb ta for your input also, smile.gif the only thing i have to do is put them stupid fuel pipe clips back on tomorrow.sad.gif