XZ550RJ Issues Trying To FIx

Nates_Vision09
This post is 5439 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i have and 82 vision.. its got a few kinks i need to work out on this bike.. i left my bike at home and moved to cleveland for school. i let my dad ride and hes one of those nice and easy riders.. nothing fancy.. he said the starter motor probably went out.. no sound, no noise.. when he hit the button... i recently bought full battery and new solenoid cuz it needed it.. is there anything else i should check before i go and try to find parts for this starter motor? or any advice for me to check out. i know engines and stuff pretty well but im used to cars.. i like working on my bike tho.. its a nice ride..

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just the usual advice of working from one end of the system to the other in a methodical manner, of course picking the right end to start at is the tricky bit. The little SR125 I've just rebuilt for the daughter-in-law had this problem, so I started at the motor end and worked backward (shorting terminals, applying voltage directly etc.) to find ..... a corroded connector in the handlebar switch! If I'd started at the top it would have been sorted in 5 minutes instead of the 1½ hours of fiddling with wiring diagrams .... aaarrrggghhh!!!

Best of luck.

a corroded connector in the handlebar switch!

Best of luck.

Same problem myself. But same cable was corroded at the other end where cable goes into a block connector before going to starter solenoid. Just goes to show that continuity testers are a valuable part of the toolkit. When you think about it bikes are exposed to a lot more wet weather than cars.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online