Newbie - 1995 - XV250s(L) Virago

eltigre0963
This post is 5358 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello Everyone,

Just joined the Club and thought I'd pop in to say Hi and ask a few questions, to which hopefully someone can provide a few answers.

I recently bought a 1995 - XV250S(L) Virago in the UK which had been standing in the previous owner's garden shed since 1997. The bike has 5495 original miles on the clock as it had never been ridden since 1997.

I would like to replace the cables and hoses with Stainless Steel Braided and wonder if anyone knows of a supplier of such (as well as stainless steel hose clamps/clips) for the XV250S. Also does anyone know what the (L) stands for? its how the Owner's manual makes reference to the bike [XV250S(L).

The bike is in fairly good condition, starts and runs well but would just like to dress it up a bit.

Also, the tires appear to be in good condition, but again wonder if these should not be changed since the bike has been standing for 12 years unused. Personally, I think they should and plan to do so, but could use to funds for the tires to buy additional cosmetics for the bike if a tire change is deemed un-necessary.

Lastly, the rear shocks are good but have accumulated some rust on them from sitting unattended for so long. I plan to replace these in the future but for now I'm wondering if any member has any tips/experience on cleaning/removing the rust from shocks.

Any advice/recommendation(s) would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

Eltigre0963

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello Everyone,

Just joined the Club and thought I'd pop in to say Hi and ask a few questions, to which hopefully someone can provide a few answers.

I recently bought a 1995 - XV250S(L) Virago in the UK which had been standing in the previous owner's garden shed since 1997. The bike has 5495 original miles on the clock as it had never been ridden since 1997.

I would like to replace the cables and hoses with Stainless Steel Braided and wonder if anyone knows of a supplier of such (as well as stainless steel hose clamps/clips) for the XV250S. Also does anyone know what the (L) stands for? its how the Owner's manual makes reference to the bike [XV250S(L).

The bike is in fairly good condition, starts and runs well but would just like to dress it up a bit.

Also, the tires appear to be in good condition, but again wonder if these should not be changed since the bike has been standing for 12 years unused. Personally, I think they should and plan to do so, but could use to funds for the tires to buy additional cosmetics for the bike if a tire change is deemed un-necessary.

Lastly, the rear shocks are good but have accumulated some rust on them from sitting unattended for so long. I plan to replace these in the future but for now I'm wondering if any member has any tips/experience on cleaning/removing the rust from shocks.

Any advice/recommendation(s) would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

Eltigre0963

If your a bit mechanically minded you could pull the shocks apart, get the springs sandblasted and then powdercoat them or rechrome them. The shocks themselves can only be worked on by hand with some sort of abrasive metal polish (not too abrasive).

Tyres should be changed as they would have decayed quite considerably and when it comes to your own health and safety, it's not worth risking it.

With the cables you could go for some universal ones such as is available from Barnetts. You just have to know the cable length, what type of connectors etc. The other option would be to contact a custom bike shop that is local to you and talk to them. If you are just after looks then I'd suggest getting some steel braided sleeves that would go over your rubber hoses. Gives the same look but a lot cheaper.

as to the L? Buggered if I know. Sorry mate.

If your a bit mechanically minded you could pull the shocks apart, get the springs sandblasted and then powdercoat them or rechrome them. The shocks themselves can only be worked on by hand with some sort of abrasive metal polish (not too abrasive).

Tyres should be changed as they would have decayed quite considerably and when it comes to your own health and safety, it's not worth risking it.

With the cables you could go for some universal ones such as is available from Barnetts. You just have to know the cable length, what type of connectors etc. The other option would be to contact a custom bike shop that is local to you and talk to them. If you are just after looks then I'd suggest getting some steel braided sleeves that would go over your rubber hoses. Gives the same look but a lot cheaper.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online