Yamaha XS400 Kart

RenaatXS
This post is 5367 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

I've built 3 karts (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4257) and 3 minibikes (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4256) up to now, starting with my first kart when I was 12, followed by a trike, and when I was 17, I started with the front of my last kart.

Well, this is a compilation of the building of the basic frame:
2s8ln68.jpg
2chkjdi.jpg
bdk23b.jpg

I started in the summer of 2007, then took a brake, because I did not find an engine. When I finally got a Yamaha engine in the spring of 2008, I had to extend the (rusty) 8 months old frame huh.gif .
ngrp1t.jpg

I was pretty lucky to find this unfinished Yamaha XS400 chopper project for just 150€ (200$):
21sbkg.jpg
2uqyz5x.jpg

It's a 1980 Yamaha XS400; 27hp, 2 mikuni 34mm carbs, 6 gears...
I cleaned the carbs and fitted bigger main jets (.142 instead of .137,5), mounted some K&N air filters and I started from nothing with the wiring.

After a few months of finishing some details, my kart looked like this:
2whksv5.jpg

I made this 2-in-1 exhaust system for my exhaust:
vg4ml1.jpg

This is my "pro" cool.gif dashboard, all selfmade:
2nc3nu9.jpg

My lights (Headlight turns together with the front wheels):
15fkizr.jpg
qoj5w4.jpg
View My Video

These are some small vids that I've uploaded on Youtube:
First Start Video
Driving the kart - 1

So what do you think of it? cool.gif

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Looking good well done, i think our 'Drewpy' will be wanting one of those, would be a hoot on scout camp weekends. Hows the cooling though, not a lot of air circulation due to the seat right in front of the engine, maybe a watercooled R6 next time eh? ... :D

...Paul

Looking good well done, i think our 'Drewpy' will be wanting one of those, would be a hoot on scout camp weekends. Hows the cooling though, not a lot of air circulation due to the seat right in front of the engine, maybe a watercooled R6 next time eh? ... :D

...Paul

I never ride more then 15 minutes continuously, not good for the engine, and not good for the driver either :)

The engine does get pretty warm, I can feel the heat through my seat :blink:

But I know enough about those engines to know when I should let it cool down, don't you worry ;)

cool, i was thinking of doing one for the scouts, but the nearest track is 3 sisters and I'm not sure how much use they would get out of that.

its a great project and well done!!

drewps

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online