80's Dt-175 Tuning advice

Crazy2287
This post is 5451 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all. Got a query about my dt175. It has 2 screws on the port side of the carby. One obviously idle. and the other? Mixture? I wanna get her running A"-Grade so im doing all the tweaks. I've already rebuilt it and converted the annotying 6volt system over to LED's (except the annoying AC side of things) and it's finally ready for rego. It runs well. but i recently relized i know SFA about tuneing a 2 stroke engine. I assumes it would be a metter of adjusting this screw and changing the mixture but the screw seems... hmm unresponsive would be the word. it dose make a difference but its irregular and hard to figure out.

Just hopeing someone in here could paint a clearer picture for me.

And a couple things while im at it. Dose anyone have a workshop manual for the dt175's? Mine is an 84 model.

Also, i have rewired the bike and as a result have created a colour coded wiring diagram of the entire electrical system on this model of DT. if anyones interested i can upload it. It lacks some details but all the important stuff is there, I needed to create this in order to troubleshoot and implement the LED system.

Peace.

-Crazy2287

(PS- I hope this is the right section XD *is noob*)

*edit - on second thought i dhould have put this in workshop... Any mods wanna help out here? ^^;

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The large screw is the 'throttle stop, or tickover. or idle adjuster' screw. The small one is the mixture screw and should lie around 1.5 turns out from gently closed. Normally you would expect the following

1: mixture screw too rar clockwise = lumpy idle.(Rich)

2: mixture screw too far anti-clockwise = too fast idle.(Lean)

manuals are readily available on ebay (in uk anyhow)

Thanks for the tip!

I have tried to find a manual but no luck really, My model has the square taco and spedo gauges a,d is road reg.

Is that engine and carby the same through the years around 84?

Thanks for the tip!

I have tried to find a manual but no luck really, My model has the square taco and spedo gauges a,d is road reg.

Is that engine and carby the same through the years around 84?

Mechanically its very, very similar to the preceeding bike, only really cosmetic stuff like plastics and possibly some carb differences.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online