engine woes

hebrew hammer
This post is 5454 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I bought a old xs and got it to start up. But with such a low price there tend to be quirks, the engine is blowing more smoke than hippies in woodstock. So drewpy and my buddy believes it is the valve seals and I am afraid to open an engine up since I have no experience. What would I need to do this? I am currently bidding on a complete gasket kit (with valve seals of course) and have a small set of wrenches. Can anyone direct me? or even come down and help me? I promise to buy you a case of beer!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I don't have any spare covers but there are some on ebay UK

the tools for changing the seals are a spring compressor ( not a car one as its too narrow to go over the cyl head) and torque wrench. you can make a compressor with a G-cramp welding a castlated bit of pipe to take out the collets like this

you will need to follow the haynes manual as it gives you how to progressivly undo the head bolts to prevent warpage. I'm going to have to do mine as up.yours spotted smoke from my left side ( on a 1000 mile rebuilt engine)

its a simple procedure and you need patcience and don't force anything.

All i used was the haynes book to do it!

drewps

hmm I have a 79 cover that looks like that but it didn't fit. Also what should I look for when I take the head out? How do I know what looks good and what is crap? I feel like I should take it to the shop because I am afraid to mess the engine up.

hmm I have a 79 cover that looks like that but it didn't fit. Also what should I look for when I take the head out? How do I know what looks good and what is crap? I feel like I should take it to the shop because I am afraid to mess the engine up.

I assume you have the contactless ignition then as they have different size.

It is nerve racking to do your own engine, and I'm no mechanic. I just follow the manual and observe the torque settings and follow the procedures. if you find you can't measure something, take it round to your friendly engineering shop and they should have an opinion (mine was great) people can't resist helping sometimes especially when you have made the effort in the first place!!

drewps

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online