1980 XS850 Special Help

Renu
This post is 5455 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Traded out for this bike for my wife..but its in need of some TLC, Would love some advice on a few good websites for Parts for one, and im curious since im a noob but learning.. It has both electric starter and kick..but when i use the electric it just doesnt crank..maybe one lil sound then nothing..but when i turn to use the kick it fires up. and the battery is charged..but the battery that was in it when i got it is bit smaller than the battery holder..quite a bit smaller indeed..but i was advised just cause its small it still the right size..i should pull it in see..but back to the electric start..do u think its just cause of the battery or something more?.. And another question: Where is a good place to look to find out some wiring schematics n such...front light dont work nor turn signals so im guessing its bad wiring..took the head lamp off and it was a mess a couple spliced wires but to what idk..the headlight was hooked up though, signals i have no idea..Any ways..if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated..would love to get this bike ready for next summer.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If you have a battery in there that's too weak to turn the engine over, you would get what you describe - maybe one wheezy crank, then nothing? I'd try jumpstarting her off another bike/car? If she starts off that, I'd get a battery that's built for her!

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Yamaha/XS_850/80-86/picture/Battery_Kyoto_Gel_-_Maintenance_Free/

Try that... Not a bad price, and it'll come fully charged, ready to rock 'n' roll... B)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online