76 dt175

Hof
This post is 5185 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey all, I just received the piston and rings in the mail, got the gasket set off of ebay.. now Im ready to start the tear it down, and Im now stuck,

took the 4 bolts off the get the head off, I was thinking the studs went all the way through to the block, and the cylinder would have came off, but thats not how it is,, the head is off, , the cylinder is still in place, i dont know if its just stuck there and slides off of the cylinder studs, or if i somehow have to take the cylinder studs out to get the cylinder off.. any help would be appreciated...

Thanks...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hey all, I just received the piston and rings in the mail, got the gasket set off of ebay.. now Im ready to start the tear it down, and Im now stuck,

took the 4 bolts off the get the head off, I was thinking the studs went all the way through to the block, and the cylinder would have came off, but thats not how it is,, the head is off, , the cylinder is still in place, i dont know if its just stuck there and slides off of the cylinder studs, or if i somehow have to take the cylinder studs out to get the cylinder off.. any help would be appreciated...

Thanks...

That's OK. What you do is lightly tap the exhaust port with a rubber or plastic mallet (NOT THE FINS!!) to free it from the gasket on the bottom of the cylinder. It should come free and slide off, leaving the studs sticking up from the cylinder. You don't need to remove the studs. I provided a picture of a different motor, but the process is still the same. If the studs came off, no big worries.

daeofaacg.jpg

daeodaacg.jpg

Since it's apart, you may want to remove any carbon from the cylinder head.

Also, when you place the piston and rings back inside the cylinder, make sure to use lots of oil so you don't score anything. The torque values for the head nuts are 14.5 ft.lb.; make sure to tighten slowly and in a criss-cross direction. Hope this helps.

• 7 months later...

Im wanting to rewire the dt175, I have stripped it of signals and lights, now need to eliminate all the extra wires, is there a wiring diagram or a guide for this?

Im wanting to rewire the dt175, I have stripped it of signals and lights, now need to eliminate all the extra wires, is there a wiring diagram or a guide for this?

If you are going for the full motox type of wiring then you will only need the coil low tension routed through a kill switch on its way to the ig coil.

Thats it 1 wire, well 2 if you are being picky, no battery nothing. The ignition system generates its own electric. Its fully separated from the rest of the stuff on the bike electrically. Even has its own coil.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are going for the full motox type of wiring then you will only need the coil low tension routed through a kill switch on its way to the ig coil.

Thats it 1 wire, well 2 if you are being picky, no battery nothing. The ignition system generates its own electric. Its fully separated from the rest of the stuff on the bike electrically. Even has its own coil.

Excellent, be nice to be rid of the birds nest of wires.! presently theres no battery, no signals,, and a ton of cut wires and empty connectors..

so other than the wires coming from the magneto, I just need the kill switch wire? . is there a schematic around her anywhere for reference?

Also, whats the compression supposed to be on these bikes, ?

Compression?? difficult thing to quantify. The engines will run in a VERY poor condition so unless you have another issue don't dwell on it.

As to the wiring if its a 76, then have a look at the mag. Unless its been fitted with a cdi you should have black, green/yellow yellow and a green. The black is the one you need and should run to the ig coil. From the connection at the coil run another line out to a switch, connect the other side of the switch to earth. The switch? Whatever you like really, a lanyard that will shut down the bike if you fall off is a good idea. Or the original bar switch if its still there. It will also have a black wire to it so you know what to look for.

Enjoy........

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much!!!

I have yet to do this though, It seems my problem all along was the coil, I ordered a new/old stock one, put it on, kicked the bike over and theres good spark..

so I put her all back together, start her up. she is idling just fine, and then dies...

i kick and kick, to no avail,. pop the spark plug out and check for spark.... no spark once again...

arghhh....

Compression?? difficult thing to quantify. The engines will run in a VERY poor condition so unless you have another issue don't dwell on it.

As to the wiring if its a 76, then have a look at the mag. Unless its been fitted with a cdi you should have black, green/yellow yellow and a green. The black is the one you need and should run to the ig coil. From the connection at the coil run another line out to a switch, connect the other side of the switch to earth. The switch? Whatever you like really, a lanyard that will shut down the bike if you fall off is a good idea. Or the original bar switch if its still there. It will also have a black wire to it so you know what to look for.

Enjoy........

now since Im going to rewire for dirt..

like stated in the above response, again, much appreciated!!

when I pop the mag off, theres 3 coils under there, do I really need all 3? arent 2 of the for lighting?

Thank you very much!!!

I have yet to do this though, It seems my problem all along was the coil, I ordered a new/old stock one, put it on, kicked the bike over and theres good spark..

so I put her all back together, start her up. she is idling just fine, and then dies...

i kick and kick, to no avail,. pop the spark plug out and check for spark.... no spark once again...

arghhh....

now since Im going to rewire for dirt..

, do I really need all 3? arent 2 of the for lighting?

yip 2 are for lighting. , you not got manual ? wheres Yamagod " he"ll sort yeh, B)

Can't see as taking out the extra coils will do you any good at all, save nothing in weight or performance.

For my money i'd leave them there, at some point the people who have gone full dirt with these come back on with...

"I want to do some night trails how do I......" :rolleyes:

So if you are going to wire the bike for running dirt, why not leave the basic mechanical parts like coils in situ so you have a lighting option should you need it. All you need to leave is some of the wire from the mag coiled up and insulated.

From experience too you might want to make sure your airbox is absoloutly perfect where it seals and then run all the breathers/vents from the engine to it. If its all sealed up tight then your wading depth will be nearer 3 feet than 1. It works to my DT has been through water deep enough to have the gearbox under water and it didn't miss a beat.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online