XS400 to cafe conversion

armyofda12mnkeys
This post is 5238 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Quick question, how do you know if you have an XS400E, D, F, etc?

Was gonna sell my bike to get another bike later, but went on vacation and someone hit my 1st motorcycle and ran.

Can't leave my baby in that kinda shape so going to turn her into something nice.

So asked my vintage mechanic (dont got time with new job to learn motorcycle repairin') to turn it into a streetstyle/cafe bike with some parts I got. Will post pics in a couple months :).

cosmetically:

Think I'm adding a new seat/tank that I know will fit xs650/xs400, headlight/taillight, superbike handlebars/torismo grips (debated clubman bars but i won't find that too comfy), and fork gaitors, and new petcocks for the new tank.

mechanically:

Bike's clutch is very on/off. think its just the cable so getting that replaced.

Bike gets stuck in nuetral or hard going from 2nd to 1st... might put in a new transmission.

Bike's electric doesn't catch sometimes esp in cold weather, might put in a new stator/starter clutch.

Bike a long time ago ran at super-high rpm's when idle screw was at normal level (and think choke was out), not sure why, went away, if can buy something to fix this, let me know :).

Things to replace to prepare for future issues:

Possibly put in bronze swing arm bushings - heard 1st thing should replace on any XS for better handling.

Possibly put in tapered Steering Stem Bearings replace ball ones

Needle Swingarm Bearing Kit? eh not sure, any advice?

Possibly some new shocks, preferably black colored - any recommendations?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Quick question, how do you know if you have an XS400E, D, F, etc?

tell us the chassis number and we'll tell you!

tell us the chassis number and we'll tell you!

k, its frame # I believe is 2L0010438, engine #: 2LC-010438. . It has a kick and electric start (heard some models don't). It is a 1978 model (i thought maybe Yamaha did like 77=D, 78=E, 79=F model but guess thats wrong?).

... What would you fix on this bike if you were re-doing the whole bike and money didnt matter too much? heard replacing plastic swing arm bushings with bronze ones are a must, what else?

Another question: Bike has a small oil leak somewhere, thought about maybe getting an Athena complete gasket set, or is it smarter to try to find the one gasket i may need where the leak is (if you can buy new gaskets one piece like that).

its an xs400E

taper bearings in head stock is good.

bronze bushes in swing arm

hagon rear shocks

progressive front springs

megacycle cam reprofile

also google "minton mods" its for xs650 but is good for 400's as well

as for oil weep, you need to clean the engine and see where the leak is. it could be a rubber seal.

drewps

its an xs400E

taper bearings in head stock is good.

bronze bushes in swing arm

hagon rear shocks

progressive front springs

megacycle cam reprofile

also google "minton mods" its for xs650 but is good for 400's as well

as for oil weep, you need to clean the engine and see where the leak is. it could be a rubber seal.

drewps

Cool def will get the bushings and tapered bearings...

What will the megacycle cam reprofile do for the bike?

Can you link to some rear shocks that will work on my bike (preferably not too expensive, and black/(or black/chrome) in color since I'm 'blacking' out the bike)?

and the progressive front springs that will work on a XS400E?

Looking in my Haynes manual but not sure of what exactly to get for those, if you can help out a lil'.

Anyone see the Athena 27 peice gasket set for $45 anywhere? saw it on oldbikebarn.com for $67.95, but i saw it yesterday after clicking some links here for $45 i coulda swore, but now can't find it. Anyone see it cheaper anywhere else?

Also i guess i had the 'high idle' one week a while back I hear alot of XS people talk about. But it went away and hasn't reared its ugly head.

Idle screw was at usual setting, then one time i was pushing my bike somewhere while it was started and in nuetral and i hear the RPM's go really high. tried lowering the idle screw. Forget if that helped a little or not, still doesn't explain underlying problem.

What causes that, is that what people call a 'lean idle'?

Thanks drewps, I'll def private message you when this bike is done. Won't be too much of an ordinary cafe build ;) (dont know if thats good or bad, we'll see how this Frankenstein monster will turn out).

http://www.megacyclecams.com/catalog/page57.pdf

http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/main1st.htm

I've seen prog front springs on ebay, try "Wurth" mainly from germany, but I'm sure you can get them in USA.

HVC cycle may have them

high rpm on idle is too lean a mix and either compensate by richening the idle mix on the carbs or they need a good clean( pref ultra sonic)

I'd try ebay for gaskets, partsnmore do them for $45

drewps

• 7 months later...

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find front fork springs that will work for my 76 XS500.

having a heck of a time finding the specs, or a compatible model. thanks,

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online