help with front brakes

SirBieber
This post is 5445 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I got new clubman handlebars today. I switched out my bars and everything works fine except the front brakes which were working fine earlier. There is dot 3 fluid in there. The brake feels like it has no tension when I squeeze it so maybe something came loose? There is a bit of a kink in the cable since the bars are so short, but I took off the brakes completely so there were no kinks and it still wont work. I'm very new to bikes so any help with simple instuctions would be very useful.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So I got new clubman handlebars today. I switched out my bars and everything works fine except the front brakes which were working fine earlier. There is dot 3 fluid in there. The brake feels like it has no tension when I squeeze it so maybe something came loose? There is a bit of a kink in the cable since the bars are so short, but I took off the brakes completely so there were no kinks and it still wont work. I'm very new to bikes so any help with simple instuctions would be very useful.

have you retro fitted drum brakes, so you have a bowden cable?

Its all stock, so I guess its using hydraulic pressure. Some people in this forum said their brakes became jittery if there is an air leak forming air pockets in the hose to the breaks. Mine is not jittery it just doesn't work. I read I can "bleed" the brakes to get such air pockets out if this is the case but not sure if that iss what I have to do. Nothing else today so I'll give it a shot anyway, if anyone has anymore ideas please share.

yep you'll need to bleed the brakes. simple enough if you've already got some fluid in there.

there's loads of "how to's" on interweb

drewps

Ive now got a large collection of you tube 'do it yourself' videos for tinkering with different parts of the bike. Anyway saw some tricks on getting all the air out, and brakes are stronger than ever. if it weren't for youtube and the yamaha club forums I'd be less hundreds of dollars because of a mechanic or it would still be the immobile $300 bike i got when I first started.

• 2 weeks later...

just a thought, check your reservoir. My bike has clubmans, and it puts the reservoir at an angle, not upright as it should be. I've adjusted mine as best i can, and thanks to where the openings in the bottom are I’ve had no issues, but its possible that with the reservoir at an angle, if you are not filled right to max, you can introduce air to the line. This is probably what happened when you took the brake handle and reservoir off the old bars and dangled them before putting the new ones on. Mine is easy to watch and check since the reservoir is clear, but i don't know what the one on your bike looks like. Hope this makes sense.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online