where do these pipes go?

italianninja
This post is 5459 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I have a 98 xj600n uk version, there are two pipes not connecting to anything. one coming from the fuel tank and the other from the air filter housing. both on the left side of the bike! there is also a pipe about an inch long coming from the filter housing too!

Any help would be much appreciated. Apart from that the bikes running ok. Alot of noise from the exhaust downpipes when reving and not alot of noise out of the rear pipes, is this normal?

Also when the clutch is out theres a grinding sound.

And when ticking over theres a clicking kind of noise (tappets need setting?).

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi I have a 98 xj600n uk version, there are two pipes not connecting to anything. one coming from the fuel tank and the other from the air filter housing. both on the left side of the bike! there is also a pipe about an inch long coming from the filter housing too!

Any help would be much appreciated. Apart from that the bikes running ok. Alot of noise from the exhaust downpipes when reving and not alot of noise out of the rear pipes, is this normal?

Also when the clutch is out theres a grinding sound.

And when ticking over theres a clicking kind of noise (tappets need setting?).

The pipe coming from the bottom? of the fuel is only an overflow if you fill tank too high, only fill up to the bottom if fuel filler neck.

The one from the air filter if it is a larger dia pipe should be connected to the crankcase breather outlet on RH side of engine near to end of clutch cable.

The clicking noise is not the tappets, for the life of me I can't remember what it is now.

The pipe coming from the bottom? of the fuel is only an overflow if you fill tank too high, only fill up to the bottom if fuel filler neck.

The one from the air filter if it is a larger dia pipe should be connected to the crankcase breather outlet on RH side of engine near to end of clutch cable.

The clicking noise is not the tappets, for the life of me I can't remember what it is now.

the clicking is the cam lobes striking the shims,they all sound like this, there is no tappets,

the noise from the clutch is what they all sound like-its the drive pin which turns the oil pump (theres a fix for this), and no you shouldnt hear noise from the headers/downpipes-could be your gaskets are blowing, fix the blowing exhaust then just get out and enjoy/ignore the ticking/grumbling :)

the clicking is the cam lobes striking the shims,they all sound like this, there is no tappets,

the noise from the clutch is what they all sound like-its the drive pin which turns the oil pump (theres a fix for this), and no you shouldnt hear noise from the headers/downpipes-could be your gaskets are blowing, fix the blowing exhaust then just get out and enjoy/ignore the ticking/grumbling :)

thanks for the responses, god ive been going crazy over these pipes for weeks. I think I need a new exhaust to be honest any suggestions? vance hines?

So Balance the carbs & set the shims ... but not in that order job done

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online