Passing lamps + the law

clarke
This post is 5308 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Does anyone know whether it's legal to wire up the passing lamps on my 1300 so they're on all the time or low beam only?

My dealer installed them to only be on when the high beam is on. Is this standard? I understand (from another website which has an excellent guide on how to install them) that you need to wire them up to either:

On all the time – green wire with blue stripe (accessory plug power wire)

On with High beam – Yellow wire

On with Low beam – Green wire

Now its a US site so says that it's illegal to have them on with high beam...

I'd prefer mine to be on with low beam or all the time as I don't think they're needed when the high beam is on (heck if I can't see with high beam on I need help!) It just seems a waste for them to be off for 99% of the time.

Before I alter them want to make sure it's legal. Any advice would be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Does anyone know whether it's legal to wire up the passing lamps on my 1300 so they're on all the time or low beam only?

My dealer installed them to only be on when the high beam is on. Is this standard? I understand (from another website which has an excellent guide on how to install them) that you need to wire them up to either:

On all the time – green wire with blue stripe (accessory plug power wire)

On with High beam – Yellow wire

On with Low beam – Green wire

Now its a US site so says that it's illegal to have them on with high beam...

I'd prefer mine to be on with low beam or all the time as I don't think they're needed when the high beam is on (heck if I can't see with high beam on I need help!) It just seems a waste for them to be off for 99% of the time.

Before I alter them want to make sure it's legal. Any advice would be appreciated.

I fitted mine myself and used the Green wire in accessory plug ( On all the time once engine starts )... what’s the point of only on High beam?... They are driving lights surly the purpose is to make you more visible.

Do yours have a small switch on the lamp to turn them off?... mine are Yam OEM and they do... mind you mine vibrated apart so I took it out!

Re "legal" I'm not sure, but I think most policemen use a bit of common sense, as long as they are not blinding anyone coming the other way and you are not driving like a prat they are unlikely to worry to much... ( So now watch me get nicked next time I'm out )

I fitted mine myself and used the Green wire in accessory plug ( On all the time once engine starts )... what’s the point of only on High beam?... They are driving lights surly the purpose is to make you more visible.

Do yours have a small switch on the lamp to turn them off?... mine are Yam OEM and they do... mind you mine vibrated apart so I took it out!

Re "legal" I'm not sure, but I think most policemen use a bit of common sense, as long as they are not blinding anyone coming the other way and you are not driving like a prat they are unlikely to worry to much... ( So now watch me get nicked next time I'm out )

I'm confused, what do you mean by passing lights. Do you mean driving lamps, or fog lamps.

If you are refering to driving lamps then they can only opperate on full beam, and should be disabled at other times to stop them blinding oncoming drivers.

Fog lamps can be on at any time but are quite often switched off when main beam is employed to reduce the electrical load on the vehicle. As obviously once main beam is employed the benefits of fog lamps are nill.

I mean these:

newbikefront3.jpg

They're referred to as passing lamps on Yamaha's website: http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/accessories/acc_overview.jsp#Star+Acc/XVS1300A/XVS13AFram//STR-4WM35-10-EA

Mine are Yamaha's OEM ones, they do have the on/off switch but it seems pointless as I've never used it as they're only on when the high beam is on. Stu_B - do you notice you blind on coming cars?

I mean these:

newbikefront3.jpg

They're referred to as passing lamps on Yamaha's website: http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/accessories/acc_overview.jsp#Star+Acc/XVS1300A/XVS13AFram//STR-4WM35-10-EA

Mine are Yamaha's OEM ones, they do have the on/off switch but it seems pointless as I've never used it as they're only on when the high beam is on. Stu_B - do you notice you blind on coming cars?

Hmmm, i would have called em driving lamps, any chance they could be adapted to a twin fillament bulb then you get the best of both worlds, the look when your cruising and the extra light when you need it.

I mean these:

newbikefront3.jpg

Hi Nice to see you have the fast red colour! I must take a photo and learn how to upload it.

I don’t know what u call em, but I have exactly the same on my bike, and agree the switch is a waste of time.

Re "blinding" on coming cars... Mine don’t, but they are nice and bright, certainly make you noticeable, which surly can only be a good thing. I just angle mine down a bit, you have to take off the indicator, then underneath there is a bolt that you can loosen, the lamps are on a sort of ball joint so its easy just to twist them down a bit then re tighten, so no one gets blinded.

My personal view is that whatever the letter of the law, surly the more you get noticed the less the chance of someone pulling out in front of you?

However I wouldn’t have thought they where illegal, my car has its lights on all the time, the bike has its primary light on all the time, and no switch to turn it off..

On another note, is your screen OEM... it looks a bigun... is it the 22"er?

Stu

I'd wire them so they can be on with headlight.

To avoid confusion of terms - Three stages of light:

Sidelight

Headlight

Fog light

Side and Head are controlled with the switch on your right control cluster.

Switch between Head and Fog using the switch on the left.

Normally in the UK, you'd ride with Headlight on.

thanks for all the replies...

With the three stages of light I guess on the 1300 (with the engine on) there's only 2 stages low beam (headlight) and high beam (fog light) as there's no switch on the right (unlike my 125).

I think I'll try my passing lights wired up to the green/blue wire of the accessories plug so they're on all the time (wonder why the dealer wires it up the other way?) I agree the more noticable you are the better. Will have a go this weekend...

I had the choice between red, black and blue (different dealers), but preferred the red in the end which was good as it was also cheaper.

(I had been looking at the 950 in blue and the Kawasaki VN900 in red but after all my spokes on my 125 snapped 2 months after my dealer tightened them up I wanted to stay away from spokes).

My screen is the tall one - haven't measured it but could well be 22" it's really good. Went out the other weekend without it on & nearly froze!

I used imageshack.us (no need to register) to upload, find your file with browse, select resize 640x480 and then start upload. When done you go to another screen, scroll down the page and copy the Hotlink for forums(1) into this message/your reply.

Here's another pic :) (without screen on)

frontsn.jpg

thanks for all the replies...

With the three stages of light I guess on the 1300 (with the engine on) there's only 2 stages low beam (headlight) and high beam (fog light) as there's no switch on the right (unlike my 125).

I think I'll try my passing lights wired up to the green/blue wire of the accessories plug so they're on all the time (wonder why the dealer wires it up the other way?) I agree the more noticable you are the better. Will have a go this weekend...

I had the choice between red, black and blue (different dealers), but preferred the red in the end which was good as it was also cheaper.

(I had been looking at the 950 in blue and the Kawasaki VN900 in red but after all my spokes on my 125 snapped 2 months after my dealer tightened them up I wanted to stay away from spokes).

My screen is the tall one - haven't measured it but could well be 22" it's really good. Went out the other weekend without it on & nearly froze!

I used imageshack.us (no need to register) to upload, find your file with browse, select resize 640x480 and then start upload. When done you go to another screen, scroll down the page and copy the Hotlink for forums(1) into this message/your reply.

Here's another pic :) (without screen on)

frontsn.jpg

I think they look better with the screen off, but much more comfortable with them on...

To get the headlight open you will need to remove the light bar... at the risk of a bit of "egg sucking" make sure you put a rag or something over the mudguard before you undo the bolts... :-)

Once you have the light open the plug is in the loom taped back on itself, although your dealer may have used it on his install he may have simply taped into the main beam... it took me a few mins of head scratching to find it :-) I simply teed into the back of the plug with one of the crimps you can get from Halfords..

Best of luck with it...

Oh BTW the crash bars look good too.. on my list sometime :-)

I must take a photo and upload as you suggest

Stu

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good look at my lamps connection. Haven't altered them yet as wasn't wanting to make the connection permanent (am sure my dealer would fail it on the MOT if it's not supposed to be wired up that way - if I use my dealer I get free MOTs for as long as I have the bike).

Anyway, does anyone know where you can buy these connectors from?

c952.gif

ttap.jpg

I found them on here (http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/connectors/connectors.php#tap) for 15p each, but they charge £5 postage :(

Failing that, does anyone know where to get the accessory plug from?

hsc024601.jpg

If not, will just have to pay £5 postage.

Had a good look at my lamps connection. Haven't altered them yet as wasn't wanting to make the connection permanent (am sure my dealer would fail it on the MOT if it's not supposed to be wired up that way - if I use my dealer I get free MOTs for as long as I have the bike).

Anyway, does anyone know where you can buy these connectors from?

c952.gif

ttap.jpg

I found them on here (http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/connectors/connectors.php#tap) for 15p each, but they charge £5 postage :(

Failing that, does anyone know where to get the accessory plug from?

hsc024601.jpg

If not, will just have to pay £5 postage.

I Still have not sorted that picture thing

But Maplins ( amongst others) sell these... if you have not used em, they make a sort of "T" You simply add the "spur" wire to say your Passing lamps or heated grips :-) and away you go...

Snap-Lock Automotive Cable Connectors

only £1.99

SAVE £0.10 was £2.09

Order Code: L71AZ

Thanks for your quick replies. I'm actually after one like this (previous pic didn't work). The Tap cable has an insulated 'spade' at the end which is push fit.

ttap.jpg

rather than the maplin one

snaplock.jpg

It's similar to the ones Maplin & Halfords etc sell, but it allows the passing lamp cable to be unplugged & re-attached without any fuss (instead of a 'permanent' connection).

My dealer used it to connect my lamps, but say they don't stock them or have any in their workshop :( Did your lamps come with them?

Just noticed that they sell Optimate 4 charger for £41.47, so £5 postage of the T-tap is more bearable..!

(Would be good to see pics of your bike if you get round to it)

Thanks for your quick replies. I'm actually after one like this (previous pic didn't work). The Tap cable has an insulated 'spade' at the end which is push fit.

ttap.jpg

rather than the maplin one

snaplock.jpg

It's similar to the ones Maplin & Halfords etc sell, but it allows the passing lamp cable to be unplugged & re-attached without any fuss (instead of a 'permanent' connection).

My dealer used it to connect my lamps, but say they don't stock them or have any in their workshop :( Did your lamps come with them?

Just noticed that they sell Optimate 4 charger for £41.47, so £5 postage of the T-tap is more bearable..!

(Would be good to see pics of your bike if you get round to it)

Are i see what you mean.. sounds like a good idea, As you say mine are permanent, but I just used a "in line" pair or crimps in the T piece, so you can unplug the lamps... also the fuse is inline so you can split the wire there as well.. And no didn’t come with the lamp’s... I'll try for a pic later and see if I can figure out how to get it loaded

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online