Need help getting a WR400F road registered..

cjard
This post is 5478 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All

I have here a WR400F that was advertised as stolen/recovered by the dealer I bought it from

The frame number has been filed off and painted over

The engine number is still present

I phoned Yamaha UK with the engine number and they couldnt locate it directly but said they suspected from similar engine numbers either side, that the bike was a 1999

The DVLA have advised me to contact the owners club or yamaha to obtain a Dating Certificate (what can I say; she's my kind of ride ;)) for the bike. They also want to inspect the bike to check some things (not an SVA but some kind of inspection) and will issue a log book upon payment of £55 plus some money for tax. I have to have insurance (which I can get against a frame number if I can find it out), an MOT and some ID.

Can anyone advise me as to the process here?

Are the engine number and frame number the same (as with my old DT) or do they differ?

If they differ, where can I get the frame number from?

Who has equipment to analyse the metal and read the number even if it is filed off? (I hear it can be done)

If they are the same, can I just have my local motorbike shop punch the number into the headstock? (They have the equipment)

Will the manufacturer issue a dating certificate even if they cannot find the exact bike? (Yamaha said it might be an import)

Where else could I go to find what frame number relates to my engine number?

I don't mind if it has a Q plate; does this change anything?

What can/will the owners club do to assist in such a process?

Is it far more arseing around than it's worth? -> I can keep/sell the bike for use it on private land and buy one that is road reg already.. This bike may never have been road reg, and it certianly doesnt have all the necessary kit (lights etc) so I'd have to buy those..

Currently stands me at about 650 quid, and it's been a whole lot of fun getting it working again.. Not averse to breaking it either, but if I could get some green lane use out of it it would be nice..

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online