1980 DT 175 will not idle and boggs down

sdthomas
This post is 5456 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1980 DT 175 that has worked really well for me. It has leaked gas for several years and I have always just turned the gas valve off. However, it has slowly become harder and harder to start. The air filter was very dirty and I hate to admit it but It hadn't been changed in several years. I replaced the Air filter with a new one. I replaced the spark plug as well. I then cleaned the carburator out and put it back together. I replaced the needle and seat since I was sure this is what was causing the leak. After I put it back together, I was getting tons of gas comming out the exhuast pipe. I readjusted the float to 21 mm and this stopped the leaking. I adjusted the air intake to 1 3/4 turns from closed position. It now starts up on the first or second kick but you have to keep it going by constantly giving it gas or it will die. It really boggs down and you have to basically gun it to keep it running. I took it appart again and found some small rust flakes from the gas tank. I cleaned the carburator out again and put it back and it did the same thing again. I can't see a piece of rust getting back into the exact hole or spot to make it run poorly again. I am going to put an inline filter on it and try it again but any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a 1980 DT 175 that has worked really well for me. It has leaked gas for several years and I have always just turned the gas valve off. However, it has slowly become harder and harder to start. The air filter was very dirty and I hate to admit it but It hadn't been changed in several years. I replaced the Air filter with a new one. I replaced the spark plug as well. I then cleaned the carburator out and put it back together. I replaced the needle and seat since I was sure this is what was causing the leak. After I put it back together, I was getting tons of gas comming out the exhuast pipe. I readjusted the float to 21 mm and this stopped the leaking. I adjusted the air intake to 1 3/4 turns from closed position. It now starts up on the first or second kick but you have to keep it going by constantly giving it gas or it will die. It really boggs down and you have to basically gun it to keep it running. I took it appart again and found some small rust flakes from the gas tank. I cleaned the carburator out again and put it back and it did the same thing again. I can't see a piece of rust getting back into the exact hole or spot to make it run poorly again. I am going to put an inline filter on it and try it again but any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

well its almost certainly a blocked pilot jet or a blocked air jet. What affect does running with the choke out have, if its ok now then its a blocked pilot jet, if its still no use then maybe a blocked air jet.

100_0597-1.jpg

The bike is cold. I went out and pulled the choke out and it started right up and seems to run with the choke out. As soon as I push the choke in it runs really well for about 10 seconds and then dies. I will look at these two jets. I am assuming the pilot jet is the main jet that picks up the fuel.

P.S. Thanks for your directions on the float adjustment that I found last Saturday on this site. I was not a member at the time but it definitely stopped my fuel leak.

Thank you so much. Oldgitonabike, you are amazing. I looked at your diagram and sure enough both the air jet and the pilot jet were clogged. I know I cleaned the pilot jet out the first go around but I did not get the other jet. they were both plugged. I put a fuel filter in the fuel line. I blew it out with some air and she runs excellent. Thanks again for your help.

Thank you so much. Oldgitonabike, you are amazing. I looked at your diagram and sure enough both the air jet and the pilot jet were clogged. I know I cleaned the pilot jet out the first go around but I did not get the other jet. they were both plugged. I put a fuel filter in the fuel line. I blew it out with some air and she runs excellent. Thanks again for your help.

Nice to get a follow up, glad it's all sorted.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online