oil bypass valve (filter cover bolt) stuck

saloonstudios
This post is 5317 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm assuming that this bolt on the front of the oil filter cover is the only bolt that holds the cover in place, correct?

Is there another bolt that holds this "bypass valve" in place? Because I've tried everything and cannot get this bolt to loosen at all. The threads are inside past the cover so I can't lubricate it externally. At this point I'm feeling I'm going to have to weld a piece of metal onto the washer part of the bolt just to get some leverage on it.

Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm assuming that this bolt on the front of the oil filter cover is the only bolt that holds the cover in place, correct?

Is there another bolt that holds this "bypass valve" in place? Because I've tried everything and cannot get this bolt to loosen at all. The threads are inside past the cover so I can't lubricate it externally. At this point I'm feeling I'm going to have to weld a piece of metal onto the washer part of the bolt just to get some leverage on it.

Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?

No, its a bitch to remove, especially if you do infrequent lubes. there is an aftermarket bolt that has a 17mm head. you will need to coat the thread in copper slip when reattaching.

the last one i did was to weld a larger nut over the head and the heat and greater leverage unscrewed the bugger. there is an O ring which will catch the cover when releasing, causing it to spin.

drewps

No, its a bitch to remove, especially if you do infrequent lubes. there is an aftermarket bolt that has a 17mm head. you will need to coat the thread in copper slip when reattaching.

the last one i did was to weld a larger nut over the head and the heat and greater leverage unscrewed the bugger. there is an O ring which will catch the cover when releasing, causing it to spin.

drewps

Ah, weld a larger nut. Not a bad idea, I'll try that one. I've already got a replacement one so I just want to get this old one off any way possible.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online