changing gear

mussellenick
This post is 5257 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yam gearboxes are made of 'Lego' you not only hear-you will feel it too-not a nice feeling eh

its what XJ's do ! among other things :mellow:

Lego? :lol:

Check your chain, if it's too slack that can make the sound and feel more obvious. I'm not sure where the Xj600 stand on this (if it has them, or is it direct drive?), but if you have cush rubbers, if these have turned to cream cheese then this will make things worse too.

Lego? :lol:

Check your chain, if it's too slack that can make the sound and feel more obvious. I'm not sure where the Xj600 stand on this (if it has them, or is it direct drive?), but if you have cush rubbers, if these have turned to cream cheese then this will make things worse too.

600 is chain driven, 900 is shaft driven.

My Divvy has the same problem, more when selecting first when bike has been stood overnight or when selecting first after work. I've put the bike up on the centre stand, put it into first (not with engine running) and there is quite a lot of freeplay on the back wheel which makes me think there is too much slack in the front sprocket drive shaft. The chain is properly adjusted by the way.

• 6 months later...

600 is chain driven, 900 is shaft driven.

My Divvy has the same problem, more when selecting first when bike has been stood overnight or when selecting first after work. I've put the bike up on the centre stand, put it into first (not with engine running) and there is quite a lot of freeplay on the back wheel which makes me think there is too much slack in the front sprocket drive shaft. The chain is properly adjusted by the way.

Iv had my pre XJ600 1991 for about two years, iv spoken to other owners and mechanics and they have all said the xj is well noted for clonking when going into 1st gear, like when its cold or been standing along time. If your chain is to slack and the cush rubbers on the the back wheel/drive are worn this will make it sound and feel like it thumps or bangs into gear. Mine has been doing this ever since iv had it had I dont notice it any more. Iv also spoken to other Yamaha owners at bike cafes etc... who have 1980s and 90s Yamahas who have also said there bike jumps or clonks when putting it into gear, must be a Yam thing......

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online