Advise a Thickie please

monty_onna_divvi
This post is 7217 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok my technical knowledge of machinery is well next to basic........ok ok its crap but hey I don't deny it :lol:

I need to know whether its cheaper to make gaskets from the paper they sell or are you better off spending more to get the prefab stuff.

I dont have barrel loads of cash to throw at my bike and need the cheapest and easiest due to suffering from CFS ( chubby finger sindrome ). Any comments welcome

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

Ive made my own gaskets and have been ok to an extent. But depends where they are going to be used. Also the ones you will buy from yam are better quality than the card stuff you can buy

I Couldn't agree more Alex!

If it's a low pressure joint such as rocker covers then a diy gasket is usually sufficient, but anything more critical, ie higher pressure, more expensive if it goes wrong, then use original parts only or you'll regret it later!!

i have allways used oem-yamaha gaskets in the engine. the only thing i really care about in my bike is the engine, and it has to work in cold or rain. just last week an kawi zx9r blow its cooling system gaskets (O-ring) at our local racing track while we were having our weekly track gathering. i spoke to the guy and he had just had his headers and water-lines out for some repair and he had _not_ changed gaskets. now thats really something that i will not stand for!

thats why oem in the engine. everything else can either be cut out, or glued together with loctite 511 (200deg sealer). i also use the loctite in clutch cower and similar auxilary engineparts. and i have never had to stop for an leaking gasket.

after all... the oem gaskets costs about two times as much as aftermarket but they still dont cost that much!