Insurance

Just Ian
This post is 5258 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey,

I've been looking at bikes for when i've passed my test when i've turned 21 and i'm intending on moving up to an R6 but was just wondering if anyone had any ideas wot the insurance would be like so i know whether i'm bein realistic or not in that aspect of getting a 600cc, just looking for a ball park sort of figure never minding bout puttin NCB and things into it.

Just incase anyone can save me making up some details for that kind of insurance to find out for myself :rolleyes:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

R6?

A 21-year-old on a blazing fast bike like that, for your first bike?

Fecking expensive, I believe.

Bandits and Hornets are a bit better, I think, but to be honest it's all going to be fairly high until you get older.

Bigger capacity bikes are often cheaper to insure than the sportier 600's which are fecking quick.

My XJR1300 is less to insure than my Fazer 600 was......

And my 1000cc Varadero was less than the previous VRF800.

It's not always about the size of the bike (engine), think about it's popularity, bikes that are viewed as 'old mans' bikes are usually more fun, and nearly always cheaper to insure - although I'm not sure who would consider a XJR1300 an old mans bike. On the other hand, I have a 600cc TTR (single) that runs out of go at around 60mph, but'll beat just about everything else in tight twisty and town stuff, and costs £50 a year to insure!

On a more safety / experience note, going from DAS to R6 isn't a great idea. Everyone wants to have super fast bikes, but honestly, you are much better off sticking with a low cost 'starter' type bike until you a) know what you really want and B) get the road experience to stay alive on a more powerfull bike.

As Tskmasterer has pointed out, Hornet, Bandit, Fazer, are great places to start, you shouldn't loose much money on them, and when you drop the thing in a carpark it won't cost an arm and a leg to replace all the plastic!

Bigger capacity bikes are often cheaper to insure than the sportier 600's which are fecking quick.

My XJR1300 is less to insure than my Fazer 600 was......

And my 1000cc Varadero was less than the previous VRF800.

It's not always about the size of the bike (engine), think about it's popularity, bikes that are viewed as 'old mans' bikes are usually more fun, and nearly always cheaper to insure - although I'm not sure who would consider a XJR1300 an old mans bike. On the other hand, I have a 600cc TTR (single) that runs out of go at around 60mph, but'll beat just about everything else in tight twisty and town stuff, and costs £50 a year to insure!

On a more safety / experience note, going from DAS to R6 isn't a great idea. Everyone wants to have super fast bikes, but honestly, you are much better off sticking with a low cost 'starter' type bike until you a) know what you really want and B) get the road experience to stay alive on a more powerfull bike.

As Tskmasterer has pointed out, Hornet, Bandit, Fazer, are great places to start, you shouldn't loose much money on them, and when you drop the thing in a carpark it won't cost an arm and a leg to replace all the plastic!

Thanks for the feedback much appreciated, Yeah i can understand why the thought of just going through the DAS onto a bike like an R6 from an R125 is a bit of a jump but thats just the kind of person i am not always being sensible or even realistic experience wise but still safe none the less, but i've been looking into advanced rideing courses aswell just for more knowledge and to help with bringing down the insurance just that wee bit but had mixed feedback on them, but i will look into the bandits, hornets etc but i've still got until the start of next year before i'll even start doin my DAS so got plenty of time to find what would suit me best and what i'd prefer.

Thanks again

ian

, but i've been looking into advanced rideing courses aswell just for more knowledge and to help with bringing down the insurance just that wee bit but had mixed feedback on them,

There's loads of cheaper-to-insure bikes that are great fun to ride - you don't need to be able to hit 150mph to have fun. Most older bikers, if you talk to them go round in circles, and end up with bikes that you wouldn't expect. SuperMoto's are great fun on the right roads and in the hands of a good rider will out perform a sportsbike on twisty roads.....

Advanced riding, go for it, bollox to the people who slag it off, they have no idea. The IAM call it 'advanced', I call it normal day to day riding. What I will guarantee is that you will ride with less top speed, but learn to carry sensible speeds through corners and hazards, and get there quicker. Do the Skill for Life course with your local group, it costs £139 - or you can book it on-line IAM Skill for Life

To be able to pass, you need one thing, the right attitude, everything else they can teach you.

I've given up riding with some of my buddies, I'm fed up of them racing along straights, brakinging for the corner then not understanding the physics of what happens in a corner and loosing too much speed in the corner to corner forces. When I go out with the IAM guys we're all smooth, quick and flow like a well choreographed stage show....

I've heard the IAM course described as 'controlled hooliganism'.

There's loads of cheaper-to-insure bikes that are great fun to ride - you don't need to be able to hit 150mph to have fun. Most older bikers, if you talk to them go round in circles, and end up with bikes that you wouldn't expect. SuperMoto's are great fun on the right roads and in the hands of a good rider will out perform a sportsbike on twisty roads.....

Advanced riding, go for it, bollox to the people who slag it off, they have no idea. The IAM call it 'advanced', I call it normal day to day riding. What I will guarantee is that you will ride with less top speed, but learn to carry sensible speeds through corners and hazards, and get there quicker. Do the Skill for Life course with your local group, it costs £139 - or you can book it on-line IAM Skill for Life

To be able to pass, you need one thing, the right attitude, everything else they can teach you.

I've given up riding with some of my buddies, I'm fed up of them racing along straights, brakinging for the corner then not understanding the physics of what happens in a corner and loosing too much speed in the corner to corner forces. When I go out with the IAM guys we're all smooth, quick and flow like a well choreographed stage show....

Hello,that would be me in a nutshell. Gone from a 50 right up to 1100 breifly and now my wapon of choice, TDR250. That bike and a tasty set of turns and you can watch me dissapear in a cloud of sweet smelling smoke as you try and find some useable stomp before the tank has your knackers on the next bump. On ANY modern 600 hypersports.

I prefer to have a bike i can get 99% out of rather than waste 99% of the bike. I do not believe you can go from a 125 to a R6 effectively. That bike demands a good, experienced rider to get its potential even remotely realised.

Thanks yeah i agree with what you say you about the courses and things, i've now been looking towards the Yamaha XJ6 and the Kawasaki ER-6N, which are now the bike of choice for me for my next bike, and controlled hooliganism sounds like i could enjoy riding a lot longer and safer so i think i'll be booking my spot on the course when the time comes.

Thanks for the replys much appreciated

ian

• 2 weeks later...

100% agree with Gas Up on the supermoto front, after a while any speed in a straight line will feel slow.

Im 19, 3yrs ncb and my CCM insurance was roughly £500.00. I personally dont think thats too bad especially comapred to some sports bike quotes i gathered for fun.

It can also depend on where you live to the price.

I'll have to go along with what everyone else has said - supersports machines aren't really a good choice for someone with the ink still drying on their DAS licence. In 33 years of riding I've been up to the giddy heights of litre machinery and worked my way back down to my current weapon of choice (Wee Arfur the XBR500):

FullView.jpg

Yeah the Power Rangers leave it for dead on the long straights, but there ain't many of them round here and a low, light, 500 single can puncture a lot of egos round the twisties.

Also bear in mind (as others have said) that insurance costs are affected by repairs prices - I've known a couple of locals who've had their 'plastic fantastic' machines written off by dropping at walking speed - bikes are perfectly rideable, but the cost of replacing the panels takes it over the write-off line! That's why naked bikes are cheaper to insure than crotch rockets, even when the performance is similar ..... Hmm, there's a sweet looking XJR13 near me for sale, and the wife did say she'd like to return to pillion duties, and Wee Arfur's not really good for 2-up stuff ......!

PS - More training is good - get onto your local plod about BikeSafe for a starter (it's free), then look into IAM/RoSPA and the like.

Hmm, there's a sweet looking XJR13 near me for sale, and the wife did say she'd like to return to pillion duties, and Wee Arfur's not really good for 2-up stuff ......!

Ahhh, a sweet ride. Have one myself, all tucked up for winter (cleaning it is a pain in t' arse).

PS - More training is good - get onto your local plod about BikeSafe for a starter (it's free)

It is in some places, others charge! and for some reason Greater Manchester don't do them at all, apparently it's the people from outside the area that ride unsafe!!!! Bizzare!

Up here in the wild and windy frozen north ( :lol: ) the coordinator for Bikesafe does alot of work to get it fully sponsored, next year there is a chance the Safety Camera lot are going to put up some cash for the Bikesafe course - at least we'de see some benifit from these tax collecting vans........

i went from a honda shadow 125c roughly £300 a year fully comp at 20 to insureing a the same honda and a kawazaki ZX6R ninka 1996 for about £450 a year quite good i must say wen a car quote for a 1.1 corsa was £1200 lol ... dont worry the honda shadow has been recently sold for a yamaha DTR 125 to get me through winter

moral of the story is ... keep your 125 and insure it 1st then your bigger bike it SHOULD work out cheaper i dono why tho

• 2 weeks later...

i went from a honda shadow 125c roughly £300 a year fully comp at 20 to insureing a the same honda and a kawazaki ZX6R ninka 1996 for about £450 a year quite good i must say wen a car quote for a 1.1 corsa was £1200 lol ... dont worry the honda shadow has been recently sold for a yamaha DTR 125 to get me through winter

moral of the story is ... keep your 125 and insure it 1st then your bigger bike it SHOULD work out cheaper i dono why tho

Who did you use to insure both bikes? Were they on one policy? I'm thinking of insuring two bikes too, keeping my 125 for the winter :).

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online