clutch adjustment & possible elec. problem with '79 XS 250

green250
This post is 5470 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

How do I adjust the clutch clearance on a '79 XS 250? (I've got no manual yet - are there online manuals available somewhere?) When you go to take off, it doesn't grab (bike move) till the lever's nearly all the way out - these bikes may be set up like that, I don't know - it's actually not that bad, and the bike doesn't creep with the cluth engaged & in first gear, and seems to change through the gears fairly smoothly - I'm just not sure how it is supposed to be set up. I want to replace the clutch lever too, so I may need to re-do my adjustment - that's why I want some info on that.

Also, I suspect that my battery is not being re-charged - I was told that I might need a 're-wind', or that it's my regulator. Any suggestions? Is there a (relatively) easy way to check/test/diagnose this fault? And, in relation to that (power supply), when I increae my revs, should my lights brighten (fractionally) at all - showing increase of 'in-flowing' charge? As is, there is no real noticable change when revs go up - I was told that this may mean I'm not generating charge - is that right?

Any help is much appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: green250

the electrical has been done to death in this forum, try a search ( more than 4 words)its usually a duff battery, or voltage regulator.

the xs400 is identical to the 250 except for carbs, valve sizes and bore, so you can down load the manuals at the top of this page. ( its called xs400 links)

clutch is really easy and the manual will show you how.

if you have any probs come back to us

drewps

:welcome: green250

the electrical has been done to death in this forum, try a search ( more than 4 words)its usually a duff battery, or voltage regulator.

the xs400 is identical to the 250 except for carbs, valve sizes and bore, so you can down load the manuals at the top of this page. ( its called xs400 links)

clutch is really easy and the manual will show you how.

if you have any probs come back to us

drewps

THANKS! Very helpful indeed. I've just downloaded my manual - very happy.

Both problems should be quickly sorted - and heaps of new info! - thanks again.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online