xs400 Rocker Arms

bswinn
This post is 5469 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all. A quick question for those in the know on xs400's. I'm in the process of stripping down, cleaning, and rebuilding the engine on my xs400 and I want to make sure I haven't done the ole switcheroo on my rocker arms. Each rocker arm has a number stamped on it's side. It looks to be 14 degrees and 15 degrees but i'm not certain. The odd thing is that it looks like both 15's are on one cylinder, and the 14's are on the other cylinder. This just seems odd to me and I figured that there would be one of each per cylinder. So if anyone has seen this could you let me know if this is normal or if I switched them?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello all. A quick question for those in the know on xs400's. I'm in the process of stripping down, cleaning, and rebuilding the engine on my xs400 and I want to make sure I haven't done the ole switcheroo on my rocker arms. Each rocker arm has a number stamped on it's side. It looks to be 14 degrees and 15 degrees but i'm not certain. The odd thing is that it looks like both 15's are on one cylinder, and the 14's are on the other cylinder. This just seems odd to me and I figured that there would be one of each per cylinder. So if anyone has seen this could you let me know if this is normal or if I switched them?

they are not handed if that's what you mean. It could be a batch number!!

Hi

I agree with Drewpy but just a thought (I dont have access to one) look at a parts manual and see if the root part number end with either 14 or 15 ... the root number is the second section i.e 1L9-11181-00 so the root would be 11181 and for the anaoraks first three are the original model code next 5 are the part, the next 2 are the modification further digits indicate colour or material (or both) ... so in the example 1L9-11181-00 would be a head gasket originally fitted to the 1L9 XS250 , 1L9-11181-01 would be mod 1, 1L9-11181-02 would be the same but second mod and (if possible) 1L9-11181-00-E0 would be a coloured head gasket :huh: and just to follow it through 4L0-11181-00 would be the head gasket for the 4L0 RD350 and so on ... anorack off !

Regards Jim

Hi

I agree with Drewpy but just a thought (I dont have access to one) look at a parts manual and see if the root part number end with either 14 or 15 ... the root number is the second section i.e 1L9-11181-00 so the root would be 11181 and for the anaoraks first three are the original model code next 5 are the part, the next 2 are the modification further digits indicate colour or material (or both) ... so in the example 1L9-11181-00 would be a head gasket originally fitted to the 1L9 XS250 , 1L9-11181-01 would be mod 1, 1L9-11181-02 would be the same but second mod and (if possible) 1L9-11181-00-E0 would be a coloured head gasket :huh: and just to follow it through 4L0-11181-00 would be the head gasket for the 4L0 RD350 and so on ... anorack off !

Regards Jim

thanks for the info Jim, checked the european parts book and its 1L9-12151-00 x 4

so that's a start!

drewps

thanks for the info Jim, checked the european parts book and its 1L9-12151-00 x 4

so that's a start!

drewps

Hi Drewps

that indicates they are all the same (with no mods) so production marks are perhaps favorite I just can not remember (age thing) what they ment so you have learnt that 12151 is a a rocker arm :huh:

but back in the day the was a sucession parts list which was well difficult to understand ... blame the Brumies (Kalamazoo) for desiging the system !

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online