Carb. problem- simple fix.

Goldfinger
This post is 5472 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Anyone you read my last post- She Lives!!, will know that after getting my XS400 running I had a problem with fuel leaking from the overflow of the right carb. I was advised the problem could be from the carb seals or float needle, or from the petcock.

Looked on ebay at rebuild kits, and considered even another set of carbs, but decided to strip the carb one last time before I spent more money ( my budget for the project has already doubled!)

On the float there is a small tab that, when the float rises, the tab pushes up a valve that controls the amount of fuel entering the float chamber. The tab in the leaking carb was almost flat, while the one in the other carb was sticking up about 1 - 2mm. A quick poke with a screwdriver so they both stick up the same amount, put it all back together, and back on the bike.

She fired up first time, idled good, didn't cut out when revved up or after running for 10 mins. And most importantly, no leaks! It would seem the running issues was caused by to much fuel flooding the right carb.

I hope this can help other bikes that have the same problem, before you go and spend your hard earned cash on unnecessary parts.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Go to www.cycle-orings.com and order a set of o rings for the mikuni CV carbs. you'll get a set of 4 for about 15 dollars. This kit contains all the o rings in the carb, including the fuel inlet tube between them and the choke actuator. With new o rings the carbs will run as new. Like mine :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online