Electrical Problem(Any Ideas?)

Tyhudg
This post is 5473 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, First post!!

I have an 84' TT600 that was recently givin to me. I pretty much had to put the thing together from the ground up because it was in pieces. I got it all together, hooked up the electrical, and went to test the spark against the block. The odd thing is, i am getting very strong spark, but it isnt just sparking on the power stroke, but a constant, steady spark throughout all four cycles. Then just a few minuites ago i pulled the spark plug, put it back in, and there was no spark at all. I was thinking it was likely either the CDI or the ignition coil, but that is just guessing. Anyone have any idea what my problem might be?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all, First post!!

I have an 84' TT600 that was recently givin to me. I pretty much had to put the thing together from the ground up because it was in pieces. I got it all together, hooked up the electrical, and went to test the spark against the block. The odd thing is, i am getting very strong spark, but it isnt just sparking on the power stroke, but a constant, steady spark throughout all four cycles. Then just a few minuites ago i pulled the spark plug, put it back in, and there was no spark at all. I was thinking it was likely either the CDI or the ignition coil, but that is just guessing. Anyone have any idea what my problem might be?

Sounds like you need to check your pulse coil and wiring up to the cdi, most 4 stroke engines run a wasted spark system where the engine sparks every time the piston reaches the top of the cyl, it simplifies the ig circuits and keeps the plug clean. If the coil isnt working properly it will give erratic triggers to the cdi and so it will spark all over the place.

Whenever i have ig problems like this i always junk the plugs and caps unless they are recently fitted and carefully check earth points and the ig coils. It is amazing the chaos a bad earth can cause.

Hope this helps

Ok, so i checked all the grounds, tested the source and pickup coil and everything checked out. I got to looking closer at a picture of the ignition coil in my shop manual and noticed that it looks completely different than the one that came with my bike. I brought the ignition coil inside and looked up the numbers on yamaha parts catalog, and it seems that this coil is intended for an 82' XT550(It fits in the mount on the frame but it is apparently not intended for my bike). Im guessing that this could very well be the cause of my problem, would you agree?

Thanks again in advance!!

Ok, so i checked all the grounds, tested the source and pickup coil and everything checked out. I got to looking closer at a picture of the ignition coil in my shop manual and noticed that it looks completely different than the one that came with my bike. I brought the ignition coil inside and looked up the numbers on yamaha parts catalog, and it seems that this coil is intended for an 82' XT550(It fits in the mount on the frame but it is apparently not intended for my bike). Im guessing that this could very well be the cause of my problem, would you agree?

Thanks again in advance!!

I should coco, its trying to supply 4 sparks(well 2 twice)to your engine, so you will see a 4 sparks per revolution. Replacement required.

I should coco, its trying to supply 4 sparks(well 2 twice)to your engine, so you will see a 4 sparks per revolution. Replacement required.

I should engage brain before fingers, your TT600 is 45odd hp+ with lots of highrev power from the 4 valve super sporty engine, the XT is a 35odd horspower soc ploder (sorry xt fans) for work and green lane duties. I would say you need the correct CDi for the ig map and spark timing to be correct.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online