'81 XS400 electrical issues

bznchris
This post is 5476 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all! New here and I recently picked up this winter project. I've done quite a bit to it since I bought it a couple weeks ago, but it still has a long way to go. What I'm having a problem with right now is the battery staying charged. It's basically draining faster than I can charge it. I would assume this is a coil or mag problem as I couldn't find any shorts. Any ideas are appreciated.

And here's the bike in it's current state

img1076jv.jpg

-chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

And here's the bike in it's current state

-chris

nice one chris "current state" liked the pun

with this charging system, you have to start out with a fully charged battery as this is needed to excite the field coil into a magnet which produces power for the battery!!

the actual regulation of electricity that gets produced is done by either an electromechanical or electronic voltage regulator. this device sits between the battery and field coil. Its possible that the electromech one may need adjusting. electronic ones need replacing.

you also have a rectifier; this goes from the stator where AC is produced and converts it to DC to charge the battery.these can also fail causing a big short!

to test; you need a multimeter over the battery terminals and check that you have 13 - 14 volts @ 3k revs.

there are other tests you can do for the regulator and rectifier which are in the download manuals at the top of this forum page.

BTW :welcome: to the forum

drewps

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online