Tyre Help

SpectralDean
This post is 5362 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All

Have a YZF750R '94 which i love but i hate the sportmax tyres on it! The dilemma is i was going to get corsa III's but am starting uni next week and will be riding 350 miles a week so it works out to about £20 a week on tyres!!! Any one have a sensible suggestion on good handling but good mileage tyres? Dont mind paying the price just not four times a year!

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi All

Have a YZF750R '94 which i love but i hate the sportmax tyres on it! The dilemma is i was going to get corsa III's but am starting uni next week and will be riding 350 miles a week so it works out to about £20 a week on tyres!!! Any one have a sensible suggestion on good handling but good mileage tyres? Dont mind paying the price just not four times a year!

Cheers

Michelin pilot road 2's, exellent long lasting sports touring tyre. Plenty enough grip for 90% of the time. If you need the last 10% on a 350 a week commute your licence/leathers won't last as long as the rubber.

Bridgestone BT020 are pretty OK touring tyres, but over more sports type rubber you do notice the difference, there are some decent deals around for these.

You can increase your tyre life by adjusting your riding, heres a couple of tips.

Let your tyres warm up before making them work hard, 5 or 10 miles.

keep the throttle nice and gentle, don't race cars off the line or snatch overtakes. It's very easy on a bike to use the power, but if you think about your riding and plan your overtakes (buy holding back and accelerating gently as the gap appears, so you are up to speed when it is safe to move to the offside and overtake), you don't want make the bike 'sit up'. use the throttle in a more controlled (ie slower movement) manner as this will reduce the work the rubber has to do in transfering the forward movement to the road.

Plan your corners, ease off the throttle before you get there, the idea being that to reduce speed (without having to brake) enough to corner, and use nice gentle acceleration in the corner (as soon as you start your turn), and increasing it as you see the vanishing point appear. Use the whole of the road in the corner, by following the outside line, there is less centripetal force (the bike doesn't loose as much speed in the corner, you will see more, and you'll not need to accelerate as much.

When you see the speed restriction signs, drop the power. Yes dab your brakes enough for the brake light to come on (warns others) but let the bike slow without making the tyres do all the work.

These will put much less wear on the tyres, brakes, cahin, engine, rider and will improve your fuel consumption too.

Now, you might think these are all pointers to take the fun out of riding, however, when you make your riding smooth and planned you will also find that you have lots more time to think, and you get from A to B faster. These are just some points about advanced riding.

rememebring my bike shop sales bollox, the bridgestone bt020 + 021 have dual composite, the centre of the tyre is harder for day to day straight lining etc and a nice soft bit for sunday prayers (down on 1 knee son)

Hi All

Cheers

Go for the Corsa III,s have them on my R1,have done over a 1000 miles on them so far ,they have a hard center ,and soft sides,bike handles well with them,.

Go for the Corsa III,s have them on my R1,have done over a 1000 miles on them so far ,they have a hard center ,and soft sides,bike handles well with them,.

FECK!!

I had dunlops things on the XJR, lasted just shy of 3000 miles, so I ditched them like a hot coal. I'd expect to get 5000+ miles out of a set of road tyres, especially if I was using the bike as a commuter.

I get 1000 miles out of the Enduro III & IV's on the TTR - but that only goes out on dirty occasions..... so I don't mind, and it only costs £100 a pair anyway.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online