2009 R1 engine problem/fault: knocking/rattling on initial startup

r1-nut
This post is 5351 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a new R1 (2009) with crossplane - love it - what a machine. However when I start her up she has developed a rattle or series of knocks (guess between 2 and 5 rattles before she settles down)and it is getting worse (slightly). Looks to me like there might be problem in the design/lubrication system. The noise is a dry running 'tappety' sound - like a marble rattling at extreme speed. Anyone know anything about this.

We've all been looking for it - a new release normally means the first owners are the trial guinea pigs - anyone else got the same problem?

I have found one other mention on a US site:

http://forum.motorcycle-usa.com/default.aspx?f=18&m=460489

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My advice would be to take it back to where you bought it and get them to check it over, thats what warranty's are for B)

I've heard a lot of owners in US having the same problem, it apparently gets worst on cold days but no one has actually said what the problem may be, take it back to the dealer and get them to have a look at it.

• 2 months later...

I have a new R1 (2009) with crossplane - love it - what a machine. However when I start her up she has developed a rattle or series of knocks (guess between 2 and 5 rattles before she settles down)and it is getting worse (slightly). Looks to me like there might be problem in the design/lubrication system. The noise is a dry running 'tappety' sound - like a marble rattling at extreme speed. Anyone know anything about this.

We've all been looking for it - a new release normally means the first owners are the trial guinea pigs - anyone else got the same problem?

Hi There

I also have an 09 R1 and started to notice the very same noise that your talking about. At first i thought it was big or little ends lacking lubrication as after a second or so of running, the noise clears and does not re-appear all the while the bike has been run very recently (same day etc).

All in all, not good!!!!. Now i have seen others with this same problem, i will phoning the dealer on Monday with a printout of this forum.

Has anyone else contacted there dealer and had any feedback, would be very grateful if you could let me know ASAP.

All the best Tony.

• 2 months later...

Had the same problem and took it to Yamaha dealer in Australia. Mechanic confirmed it was the camchain tensioner and they replaced it in Jan. No noise since then and the bike seems to respond and perform a lot better too. Apparently there have been a few reported cases here. Mechanic told me that the camchain tensioner may have been a dud or the knocking noise may turn out to be an issue with this model in which case the problem may reoccur. Was told that Yamaha may consider a recall if there are more reported cases.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online