no offence intended

up.yours
This post is 5401 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

if this question offends any one i appoligise ,but we call germans crouts and french people frogs we also call americans yanks or yankis,what slang name do you yanks call the british or english?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

if this question offends any one i appoligise ,but we call germans crouts and french people frogs we also call americans yanks or yankis,what slang name do you yanks call the british or english?

Rosbifs by the french.

Limeys by the americans

tea sippers?

how far you wanna go back?

redcoats.

not really thought about it much tho, i always called you fellows "british people"

thats vewwy decent of you old chap, ;)

and french people frogs

A man goes into a French restaurant and says to the waiter

"Have you got frogs legs"

The waiter replies

"wee"

The man says

"well hop away and get me a steak then"

smile.gif not intending to cause offence again?why is the shortened version of the word pakistani offensive,answers from ethnic minoritys only please.people shorten my name (kev) to you big fat ugly cunt ,but i dont take offence.

its a white night with a burning cross and a bible,its something ive always been fastenated with.we all beleive what we want to beleive in or do we no longer have that right,because it may offend someone,in which case their wouldnt be any religions .it seems that my avitar has offended you in which case tough luck i make no appoliges what so ever why should i,like i said its my choice.

smile.gif not intending to cause offence again?why is the shortened version of the word pakistani offensive,answers from ethnic minoritys only please.people shorten my name (kev) to you big fat ugly cunt ,but i dont take offence.

I dont think the YOC is a good place to be raising an issue that has so much controversy and passion surrounding it, I myself find it a puzzler, as in a previous post I posed this-

Incidentaly, thats a very good point

Q:, when does a remark become 'racist'

a, when an expletive is used ?

b, when theres a skin colour involved ?

c, when the recipient is not in a good mood ?

:mellow: after all under the skin we're all the same, except Welsh people, isn't it ! :P

There's no harm in understanding why something is an insult.

It's an insight into the past and understanding our culture, with the opportunity for us to progress and evolve.

Rosbif = Roast Beef (said with a French accent), because it was a favourite dish of the Brits.

Limey - From Brit Navy's use of limes to prevent scurvy

John Bull - Another Yank term for a Brit

Welsh is actually an Old English word for Foreigner.

Pork And Cheese has always been a favourite term for Portugese - I have a Porky chap at work who in turn happily calls me "Inglese".

The Pakistani one is offensive if used by a non-Asian in the UK.

List Of Ethnic Slurs

Yank and Yankee are also explained here.

Q:, when does a remark become 'racist'?

A: When the remark is used to imply someone is a lesser human based solely on their race.

This is NOT to be confused with Discrimination and Prejudice.

Discrimination means to identify a difference - A perfectly acceptable human trait. Technically, you're discriminating if you point out someone is wearing a different coloured shirt, or in fact is doing anything different to those around them.

Prejudice is again an acceptable human trait. It's how we learn to tell friend from foe, based on previous experience. if, for example, all people you've ever met who wore a red shirt were nasty to you, that forms a prejudice and you'll be apprehensive of those you meet in future. It's psychologically unavoidable, but can be changed by contrary experiences.

Racism is where you actively expound the inferiority of a race or it's individual members, based solely on their race.

The first can lead to the second and third in a progressive process, which is where stereotyping comes from. Racism, however, can be instilled by an individuals environment, which happened during things like Apartheid.

Myself, I was prejudiced against some Asian minorities, because every time we met them at school they were in gangs and armed with knives.

Fortunately, I have worked in a multi-cultural environment for many years and no longer need the psychological caution behind that prejudice.

Why.

Why when you call someone an Afghan, is that not offensive ?

What about a Brit ?

What about a Kazak?

If Pakistan becomes and expletive when shortened, then why not the others ?

Why when you call someone an Afghan, is that not offensive ?

What about a Brit ?

What about a Kazak?

If Pakistan becomes and expletive when shortened, then why not the others ?

I believe 'Afghan' is the correct term for... well, an Afghan!

Same goes for Kazakh, Mongol, Turk, Uzbek and some others.

The derogatory form of Pakistani is just one of those things. Similarly, many 'African-Americans' use the N-Word amongst themselves, but consider it an insult if someone outside their culture uses it.

Brit is more a nicknamey term, with very little insult inferred and a tone of informal familiarity. It can be an insult to those of Anglo-Saxon heritage, rather than Briton.

Taff, Mick and Jock are similar ones used for Welsh, Irish and Scots people respectively. They can occasionally cause offense.

Gringo is another similar term, except the tone and context decides whether it's an insult.

"Fecking bastard Gringo" is probably not meant to sound nice, whereas, "Come drink with me, my Gringo friend!!" is more likely what you want to hear.

Oh - Forgot one from earlier - Pommie comes from Whinging Pom, short for Pomegranate which was Aussie rhyimg slang for Immigrant.

There's no harm in understanding why something is an insult.

It's an insight into the past and understanding our culture, with the opportunity for us to progress and evolve.

Rosbif = Roast Beef (said with a French accent), because it was a favourite dish of the Brits.

Limey - From Brit Navy's use of limes to prevent scurvy

John Bull - Another Yank term for a Brit

Welsh is actually an Old English word for Foreigner.

Pork And Cheese has always been a favourite term for Portugese - I have a Porky chap at work who in turn happily calls me "Inglese".

The Pakistani one is offensive if used by a non-Asian in the UK.

List Of Ethnic Slurs

Yank and Yankee are also explained here.

Q:, when does a remark become 'racist'?

A: When the remark is used to imply someone is a lesser human based solely on their race.

This is NOT to be confused with Discrimination and Prejudice.

Discrimination means to identify a difference - A perfectly acceptable human trait. Technically, you're discriminating if you point out someone is wearing a different coloured shirt, or in fact is doing anything different to those around them.

Prejudice is again an acceptable human trait. It's how we learn to tell friend from foe, based on previous experience. if, for example, all people you've ever met who wore a red shirt were nasty to you, that forms a prejudice and you'll be apprehensive of those you meet in future. It's psychologically unavoidable, but can be changed by contrary experiences.

Racism is where you actively expound the inferiority of a race or it's individual members, based solely on their race.

The first can lead to the second and third in a progressive process, which is where stereotyping comes from. Racism, however, can be instilled by an individuals environment, which happened during things like Apartheid.

Myself, I was prejudiced against some Asian minorities, because every time we met them at school they were in gangs and armed with knives.

Fortunately, I have worked in a multi-cultural environment for many years and no longer need the psychological caution behind that prejudice.

thank you ttaskmaster as always you done your homework . little dave im glad we arnt falling out over this .this topic can now end . please could a mod block this topic before it becomes something it wasnt intended to be.thank you.

This post is 5401 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.