tail lights shorting out

fightered
This post is 5387 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Help needed..... :( iv been working on a cheap fighter project on my divvie whilst i take part in the current downturn on the jobs front (it hadn't turned over in 5yrs until a week and a half ago) and the current snag seems to be my new tail light i bought, well.... the light works fine but when i press the rear brake lever it cuts out and pressing the front lever results in no change i.e. it doesnt brighten, iv got a manual which iv stared at an awful lot and i can only see three wires that lead to the light, a yellow, blue and an earth so its not exactly complicated but its simplicity doesnt help as it keeps shorting when i wire it up as per the diagram and im starting to go mental and muttering incoherently to myself a lot in my shed :blink: . Anbody have any ideas???? I had thought that seeing as ive only got to hook up the brake lines and speedo to go for an mot, i might ask if they'd figure it out cos im stumped, but thats kinda like admitting defeat and i really want to finish it off myself.....any good ideas welcome, ;) thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like the wiring on either the light or the bike is a bit off.

Get a multi meter /test lamp and get the wiring at the rear of the bike, ignore the colour codes as far as it goes. Right with the wires bared off/connectins available, turn on just the lights and one of the wires at the rear will come live. Make a note of its colour. Now turn the lights off. You now need to hold the rear brake on (bit of wood, whatever) and see which wire comes live, again note the colour. The last wire should be the earth and be connected to the frame somewhere and you ahould be able to prove that with an ohms (resistance) check between the last wire and the battery -(negative) terminal connection.

Now i know the reaction, its a new bulb etc. But please Change it for one that you KNOW works. Nick it from the back of the car if you must but make absolutely certain beyond any doubt that it works.

Once thats done there should be enough info in the blurb for the new light to make it work. If not then the earth is normally pretty obvious by being connected to the metal of the lamp with the other two going into the bulb holder. You should be able to use trial and error to sus which is the light and brake connections.

Hope it helps....