Gastanks and other parts.

tete
This post is 5481 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1977 XS400. I want to get a gas tank from the more teardrop shaped XS400. As well as the seat. are these parts interchangeable? How about if I just want another gas tank from another XS model like the XS360 of similar year. does this work? I use my bike daily so my plan was to buy another gas tank and other cosmetic bits and have them painted and then simply spend one afternoon swapping off the old for the new. That way there is no downtime. ALso this would allow us to perhaps compile a list of what parts are interchangeable. I love the look of my model year, but sometimes I really like the tear drop tanks as well. regardless I would like to know what my options are in term of swapping in and out parts.

Thanks

Tete

pics of my bike. I like the styling but the paint is worse than it looks in these pics. I like the cafe seats styling as well. and am leaning in that direction,. dunno. I would like to feel my options out first

hx2cki.jpg

ng9gl5.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Most people are going the other way and doing Cafe to the "cruiser" xs400. I can tell you it's not a drop on mod and the seat is very different in addition to being shorter. Honestly I don't think it's possible without serious fabrication. The bike you are trying to emulate has no tail section and shorter seat in addition to a different frame and side covers.

I'll trade you mine for yours, straight up. I love the squared off look and large gas tank yours has.

I am just about finished my 77' XS400D cafe racer,( pics to follow soon) and it has the rounder cruiser style tank. The id plate on the frame dates it as October 1977, I just asumed that was the year they changed the shape of the tank. I did prefer the squarer shape tank, however, the shape of the dome seat I got mirrors the curve of the tank perfectly. I have seen old Honda CB750 cafe's which had a tank similar in shape to your's, and they look wicked with a Dunstall style seat, it really compliments the box shape of the tank.

I'm not sure if the old and new tank are a straight swop, though. When I bought my bike, the previous owner had fitted a few non-original parts, (most of them badly), so mine may have had the tank swopped.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online